Chapter Three.

Chapter Three.

The smile that had clung to Elle's lips since she left Luke's Parlor slowly faded on her walk back home. By the time that she stood in front of the single-family home where she lived at, it had vanished completely; with no sign that it had ever been there. 

It was ten past two A.M. and from outside, she could see the flicker of that defective light bulb on the living room that she despised so much. It was on. She knew that was never a good sign.

Not even bothering on being quiet, she unlocked the front door with her spare key and entered her home. No one greeted her at her arrival, not that she was expecting that. The kitchen/living room area was deserted, but they showed signs of what had been going a few hours earlier. On the far side wall, next to the dining table, there was a hole in the surface. It was the size of a man's fist. 

Glass pieces from a shattered beer bottle laid scattered all around the floor, along with a trail of dry blood drops. Someone must have stepped on the broken glass. 

She followed the bloody trail to her parents bedroom. The door was closed, but she went in without knocking. A single sleeping form was tangled in blankets on the bed. The lamp had been left on. She walked forward to watch her mother's peaceful face. She only looked like that while she was dreaming about good things; perhaps a better life. Or the outcome of a different choice.

Elle walked to the small bathroom that connected to the bedroom and found some antiseptic alcohol and a few bandages. In a couple of minutes she had cleaned the cuts in her mother's feet. This way she wouldn't be getting an infection; one could never be too careful nowadays. 

Her mother didn't wake up while she worked on her. She slept like a rock, Elle knew. It was one of the effects of the medication that she took religiously.

The young girl watched her mother sleep for a while longer, and placed a tender kiss on her forehead before leaving her to her good dreams. With a sigh, Elle walked to her own room, switching the light on as she walked in, closing the door behind her. 

She wanted to take a long shower but the burning sensation in her stomach from her new tattoo made her rethink this. She wasn't up for the sting of washing freshly tattooed skin. She decided to put some lotion on it before going to bed instead.

After changing into more comfortable clothes, Elle slipped under the covers in her bed, turning off the light beforehand. While she laid in the darkness, she stared up at the ceiling contemplating on what was to come. 

It didn't take long. She heard the usual noises and she knew she was no longer alone. 

It was worse every night, but part of her always hoped that she wouldn't get the visit. But that's all it was, hopeful thinking.

She had closed her eyes, pulling the blankets up to her neck in the process. She held them tighter when she heard the creak of heavy footsteps on the wooden floor of her bedroom.

Then the hissing started. It was the sound of a dozen snakes who had just gathered around their prey. Elle's heart rate picked up and goosebumps rose across her arms. But she refused to open up her eyes this time. She knew what would be waiting for her. 

When she heard the voices, she knew there was no use. They would get what they wanted. They always did. Each time they took more and left less. She didn't know how much she would be able to give until there was nothing left of her.

Elle finally opened her eyes, but this time, while her life was stolen from her, she imagined Luke's face hovering above her; his bright blue eyes shining down on her.

For once, she didn't even notice when they left.

_______________________________________________

A/N: This is getting creepy... What do you guys think? Any theories on what's going on?

I'm so happy that a few days ago this story was #15 on Paranormal. Like, that's the best thing ever. I've never had such a low ranking, so thank you. I hope you keep enjoying this story.

Stay Awesome,

Liz.