Breakfast

We sat at the table snarfing homemade breakfast tacos. Austin is quite possibly the center of the known breakfast taco universe, with more taqueria's and roadside carts and restaurants serving them than any city I have ever been in.

Mine are pretty good. Fresh, organic ingredients, but I am still working on finding the perfect way to make them. My homemade tortillas today are the stretchy, buttery, more glutinous recipe that works well for stuffing with things rather than the cakey kind that I use for other things. I steamed them for extra stretchiness. The scrambled eggs a deep yellow because the eggs are from a free-range farm over in Elgin. The various cheeses are freshly grated. The Frijoles Refritos I made yesterday and put away because I like them better on the second day. More time for the bacon and garlic to permeate them. I have a vegetarian version I make from time to time, but there are no vegetarians among our little group of Vampires. Helen likes lots of thick and crispy bacon piled on hers. Jessica likes Chorizo she gets homemade from someone she knows. I like super crispy fried potatoes that add a nice crunch. One of the few carb things I like any more. Sour Cream and a few kinds of Pico and picante sauces also sat around so each taco can be a designer taco. I always set up my table so that people can customize their food. The reverse of the 'eat what is in front of you' ethos.

As we each worked on our second masterpieces, the back door slide open, and Lori came inside. She stopped, sniffed and asked "Please tell me I timed this right. Any extra?"

"Pull up a chair." Jessica invited. "Plenty here. You know Adrain does not know how to make less than too much. Why we have that monster fridge. Day off today?"

Lori, being a nurse, does not work a Monday through Friday kind of job. "Yes. The first one in a while and they asked if I wanted an extra shift, but I took the time off for a change instead. Not like I need as much money these days, what with the rent being what it is. Or isn't." She sat down rather gingerly and was handed a paper towel by Helen. Paper towels are our plates with this kind of meal.

Helen noticed the way Lori sat and asked her "Rough night?"

"You might say that. Not a bad rough. Our dinner conversation appeared to be quite... inspiring shall we say? Not rough, just often." She winced as she settled into the cushion of the chair.

Jessica sped off and returned with a pillow for Lori, who took it gratefully. "Thank you."
I brought Lori up to speed more or less. "We were just talking about the Conclave when you came in. Well, discussing some more. Been talking about it off and on for a while now."

"So, what exactly is this Conclave about?" Lori asked, "Not that I'll ever get to go to one."

Jessica was chewing, so Helen took it. "Normally a Vampire Conclave is a regional meeting. They happen at different times and in different places. In North America, a national gathering happens about once every five years. They are always at a venue controlled by Vampires. Always. That is why I bought the Executive retreat up north of Travis a bit. That and a private airstrip, for the few that are willing to fly, though that is a young Vampires game."

"There are smaller gatherings all the time of course. A Conclave is about a couple of activities. Getting together, sharing knowledge. Reminding each other that we are out there. That we are not alone. Because of those kinds of needs for the Vampire community, Conclaves are a wide-open kind of event. Any Conclave can be attended by a Vampire from anywhere. You just need to be a Vampire and show up." Helen paused, then added "Or a human officially recognized by the local Geo's council as trustworthy. Even to this day, Vampires do things like marry humans for political gain. Becky is married right now. Part of her ministerial guise. Nice enough fellow, for a State Senator. Becky likes him. It helps his career to be married to a non-controversial religious leader as well. He knows what she is. She gets influence, power, and unrestricted access to a human male. She does not need to worry where her next blood or sex is coming from."