the one with today's the day

-twenty-two-

Kate

Today's the day I've been waiting for, for about six years now. I'm graduating from college with my bachelor's degree. I've maintained A's throughout all four years. I sit in this seat with my cap and gown on, rightfully. I look a few rows behind me and see Autumn. We make eye contact and give each other big thumbs up. I laugh and turn around. The principal clears her throat in the microphone. The bleachers of families quiet down and the rows of graduates shut up. "Today, I have the honor of," I drone all of it out until my name is called.

"Katherine Hart." Everyone claps as I stand up and walk to the stage. I shake the principal's hand and she gives me the long-awaited diploma. I smile wide as the professional photographer points his camera at me. I walk down the steps and sit in another row of chairs. Name after name, everyone was called. "Here today, at three-forty p.m. On July twenty-first, I'd like to congratulate this class for their four years of hard work." We all throw our caps in the air then everyone finds their family. I just start walking toward the exit when Noah, Alicia, and Wyatt all come running toward me. Tears fill my eyes and we all have one big group hug. "I can't believe you guys came" They all laugh. "Well, Noah and I don't graduate for another few days and we just wanted to see our best friend graduate." I smile and hug them both tightly. I wave goodbye and tell them we'll meet up soon. Wyatt looks at me proudly. "Look at you little lady, you did it." My smile is wide and we have a tight hug.

"Thank you for coming, it means a lot." He smiles. "Of course, I also have a surprise for you though." I look at him curiously. "Come on let's get to your truck first." I nod and we walk to the parking lot. I get in and roll down the window. "What's up?" He smiles wide. "Because of the business I'm in, I gave a good word to a company out in Lake Geneva. I showed them some examples of your work and they got really excited." My mouth drops and my eyes widen. "You didn't." He smiles and nods. "They want an interview whenever you're all settled in and everything." I jump out of the car with tears in my eyes. I wrap my arms around his body and squeeze. He laughs and hugs me back. I don't let go for another five minutes. "You going to let go or-?" I wipe the tears from my eyes and let go. "Thank you, Wyatt. You have no idea how much this means to me." He smiles. He opens my door and I get in. "Now go home and start your new life." I nod and blow him a kiss. "Thank you," I say one last time. I start the long journey back to Wisconsin. Everyone decided in high school that we all wanted to move back to Wisconsin for work. So I was going to see Autumn and them in a few days.

After we all get settled, Autumn and Ryan decided that they wanted to get married in Lake Geneva because of how beautiful it was there. Autumn picked me as her maid of honor so I had to start looking for a good location soon. A smile is on my face as I think about their wedding.

***

I'm about to cross the Kansas borderline but I see that little food place I stopped at the first time I left. A smile falls on my face and I get off the highway and drive into the parking lot. I go inside and the same two people there four years ago were still here. My heart warms as I ordered what I did the first time. The cook looks at me for a second then laughs. "Well, I'll be damned. Look at you in that gown." I smile. I didn't even know him but that made my day. "Thank you." He smiles and gives me my food. I eat it, then leave a tip for them both. As I walk out the door I yell, "Thank you!"

I get into my truck and start the drive back home.

***

I cross the city limits for Lake Geneva and my heart starts beating quickly. Here we go. I pull into an apartment complex with really nice apartments. I saved enough money from my job in Arizona that I could afford at least a year's rent here. As I park, I make sure all my things were still strapped in the back of my truck. Happy that everything's still here, I take my hoodie off and put it inside the truck. It was a blue hoodie that Autumn got me for one of my birthday's, I wore it all the time. But it was kind of hot right now so I sadly have to take it off. I shake my head and laugh to myself.