the one where they meet.

-two-

Katherine

As I get out of the shower, I use the softest towel ever and dry myself. I put the clothes Anna had left on and I walk out of the bathroom. I close my curtains and get into the bed.

Is it just me or is it really hot? I take my shirt off, throwing it onto my dresser. As I wait for sleep to take over, my thoughts come bursting through. How could a family ever be this nice? Like no one else would've taken dad and me in. They would've turned their heads and pretend to not hear us. I could never repay the O'Brien's. Lee and Anna mean the world to me. Finally, my eyes start to get heavy, before I know it, I'm drifting into a dreamless sleep.

***

I wake up in a pool of sweat. Why is it so hot?! I sit up and get out of bed. My feet hit the cold tile and my body instantly cools down. I could use a glass of water. I quietly close my door and find the stairs. I go down them, then find the other stairs. Once I'm on the first floor, I start trying to navigate this mansion in the dark. I rub my hand low against the wall, trying to find some type of door.

As my hand touches a handle I quickly twist the handle. I go into the room and find a light switch. The laundry room. I shake my head, close the door, then continue my journey. I explore the house another ten minutes, finding two bathrooms, three closets, and a pantry of food. I have to be close now. I reach a door that pushes inward. Once I'm in the room, I instantly see it's a kitchen. My eyes had grown accustomed to the dark. I feel around for a light switch. As I find one and flip it on, I see another figure and my body freezes. I let out a blood-curdling scream. As I do so, the figure turns around, wide-eyed. He yells too.

My heart starts beating fast. "Who the hell are you?!" I scream. He looks at me shocked. "Real question is, who are you and why aren't you wearing a shirt." My eyes widen and my hands instantly fly up to cover my chest. He smirks. "You're too young to be a mistress," My eyes widen as he scans my body once more. "Are you a new maid or something?" I let out another scream. "Who the hell are you!" His smirk fades and he looks at me with a dead look. "My name's Stryder and this is my house. Who the hell are you?" My eyes widen. His house? Who is this?

Before I had the time to answer, his parents come bursting into the kitchen. "WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!" Lee screams. My eyes widen. My cheeks grow red as I'm in a bra in front of everyone. "I-I was just trying to get a glass of water and I found this random dude in the kitchen!" I say breathlessly. A good ten second passes before my dad, Lee, and Anna start bursting into laughter. I look at them as if they're psychotic. I turn around and see 'Stryder' looking at them the same way. I turn back around and Anna is walking toward me. She turns me around and pushes me to the man.

"Katherine, this is Stryder, our son." My eyes widen and he smirks once more. "I-I'm sorry," I muttered lamely. He laughs. "And, Mother, who the hell is this?" She looks at him sternly. "Language!" He smirks. "Stryder, this is Fred's daughter, Katherine." Stryder's eyes widen. I look at him curiously. "You're shorty?!" My eyes widen. How did he know that name? My dad comes up behind me. "I don't know if you'll remember sweetheart, but when we visited Lee and Anna the last time, Stryder was here. He would mess with you and call you shorty to annoy you." My eyes widen.

"You're him?!" Stryder smirks. "I always remembered a stupid boy messing with me as a child, I just couldn't put a face or name to him." His smile falters. "You couldn't remember me?" I smile. "Nope." Lee interrupts. "As fun as this has been, it's three in the morning. Can we please go back to bed before we wake the baby?" My eyes widen even more. "You have a baby?!" I whisper yell. Anna's face brightens. "We adopted her a few weeks ago. She's two months old." My heart squeezes. Oh my god, I bet she's cute.