the one where it all begins.

-one-

Katherine

As I walk through the metal detector, my boyfriend Gunner comes up to me. He wraps his arms around me and I do the same. He walks me to my first class with my body pressed against his side. Before I can walk through the door he pushes me against the lockers and smashes his lips into mine. I quickly recover, kissing back with the same force. He pulls away and smiles. "Have a good day princess. Be safe." I nod as he walks away. "You too!" I yell before he turns the corner. I walk into the class, sitting in my usual spot in the front. It was the safest spot, the teacher could see everything that went on.

The class fills in and I wait for the lesson to begin. My first class was Calculus, something I've always been bad at. I really do pay attention, but I just couldn't understand. It was my only B class. Other than that I kept good grades, I wanted out of this shitty neighborhood. I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in a bad part of town. I go to a school with druggies, juvie kids, shooters, killers, you name it, they were here. The only reason I go here is because money is tight. Gunner is the same way. He's a very respectable young man. All good grades, good morals, good manners, and even behavior. Neither of us act like the rest of our school. We only go here to get out of this hell hole.

As my teacher walks in my usual day begins.

***

As I walk to the cafeteria with Gunner by my side, a random number calls my phone. I sit down at our table, then answer it. "Hello, Miss Hart right?" I don't answer at first. How'd this stranger know my name? "Uh yeah, this is she." The man lets out a breath. "It's Hunter Laurel, the chief firefighter." My eyes widen and Gunner looks at me quizzically. "I couldn't get in contact with your father, so you were our best hope." My heart starts beating quicker. "Okay, anything wrong sir?" He lets out a long sigh. "About an hour ago, we were informed of a house bursting into flames. As we arrived at the home, it surely was." He reads off the address and my face pales. Gunner grabs my free hand. "A-Are you saying what I think you are?" He inhales sharply. "Yes Ma'am, I'm sorry to tell you, but we couldn't save anything. Everything is gone. Could you possibly come to the scene?" I mumble a small yeah then hang up.

"What the hell was that?" He asks breaking the silence. I look up at curious, yet concerned eyes. "T-That was the chief," He looks at me even more seriously. "My house is gone. It's a pile of ash," Gunner's eyes widen. He stands up quickly, pulling me up with him. "Come on, let's go," I nod slowly, taking his hand, allowing him to pull us to the front doors. We get into his car and speed home.

As I get out beside a firetruck I see the only home I've ever known gone. For the first time in years, I start crying. I fall to the floor and just cry. Gunner is quickly by my side lifting me into his arms. I stand there, crying onto his shoulder for what felt like hours. Once I can no longer cry I back up. "T-Thank you," I mumble to Gunner. He smiles lightly. I walk over to a  firefighter, asking to see Hunter. The man points to another man standing in my driveway. I walk up to him and tap his shoulder lightly. Gunner gives my hand a tight squeeze. My heart flutters with appreciation. He should be in workshop right now. He didn't have to be here, yet, he was.

The man turns around with a somber look on his face. "I'm so sorry, kid." A sad smile tugs at my lips. "I guess I can only be thankful my dad and I are safe." The chief smiles and nods. It was only two and dad wouldn't be home until six. The only way I can tell him the news is by actually going to the bank. I walk to the end of my lawn, sitting on the grass but my feet in the street. I sit there looking at all the other houses. We could barely afford this house. How the hell are we going to buy a new one? Gunner finds me quickly and sits right next to me. He puts his arm around my shoulder. I rest my head in my hands. "What are we going to do?" I mumble.