the one with the job.

-five-

Katherine

A week passes. Same stares from Vanessa, same stares from everyone as Stryder and I get out of his car, same stares as we leave together. Autumn and I had been texting and we got closer. Ryan and I talk at school, getting closer, and learning more about one another. Bryson has gotten creepier and I'm starting to feel a little creeped out sitting next to him. Other than that, I'm fitting in nicely. Stryder's friends greet me in the hallways. At first, I was paranoid they were just messing with me, but they all seemed sincere. Now, as I wake up at nine on this sunny Saturday, I don't want to get out of bed.

I don't like how quickly everything's been changing so quickly. This day a week ago, I was snuggling with Gunner on my couch, watching t.v. Now, look at me, getting out of bed in a strange room. I am glad I didn't have any friends other than Gunner, or this transition would've been even harder. I do miss my home though. I mean I lived there for seventeen years. I shake my head as I roll out of bed. I walk downstairs and into the kitchen in my pajamas.

I yawn as I make myself a cup of hot cocoa. "Morning shorty," He says teasingly. I roll my eyes. "Morning Stryder," He gets into the fridge, grabbing the eggs and jelly. He turns the stove on and goes to the pantry. Once my cocoa is done, I lean on the counter watching him with curious eyes. He comes back with bread. He puts a pan onto the stove, cracking two eggs and frying them. He puts the bread into the toaster. As they finish, he smothers them in jelly. He puts them on a plate and the eggs next to them. He hands me the plate. "Here creepy, maybe this way you'll stop staring at me." I let out a laugh, grabbing the plate. I sit at the bar counter. "Thank you," I say sincerely. I grab a fork and start eating. I smile as even though it was just toast and eggs, it wasn't bad.

Out of the talents I had, I couldn't cook. It did make me sad, but now I'm a professional cereal maker. I smile to myself as I eat breakfast. On Friday during my free period, I was looking through jobs that were hiring and I found the perfect job. Now all I had to do was get Stryder to take me. As he sits in the chair across me, I look up at him with puppy dog eyes. "The point of the food was so you wouldn't stare." I smile. "I was wondering if you could take me somewhere." His face drops. "Where," I think of the name, but can't remember. "The car shop down the road." He looks at me weird. "The dealership?" I shake my head. "The automotive repair place." He looks at me weirdly but nods.

I smile, running upstairs to get dressed in a pair of shorts. I put a black shirt on with black tennis shoes. I grab my phone and license. I run downstairs to see him waiting by the counter. He sees me then starts walking to the car. About ten minutes later, we make it. "I'll call you to pick me up later?" He rolls his eyes but nods.

I get out of the car and walk inside. The smell of tires hits me like a truck. I take a deep breath, appreciating the smell. I walk to the front desk. "Hi, can I see a manager?" The lady nods, calling over a tall man. He looked to be in his mid-fifties. He had black hair, a few grey strands, and blue eyes. He smiles politely at me. "Yes, ma'am?" I swallow my nerves. "I was wondering if I could apply for a job," I can tell he's holding in a laugh. "To be a cashier?" I shake my head. His eyes widen, I can tell I've piqued his attention. "I want to be a mechanic." He smirks. "Alright slick, follow me." I follow him to the back, which a door leads to a garage, a big one might I add.

There were two trucks sitting there, untouched. "If you can fix one of these, you've got the job." I smile, grabbing some overalls off the wall. I put my hair into a pony-tail and grab a toolbox off the table. I go to the truck that had more parts missing from under the hood. First, I reconnect the battery. Then I reattach everything taken out of it. I replace the belt because it was so worn down, it was tearing in my hands. I check the alternator making sure it was still in place.