the one with Prom

-twelve-

Kate

I can't speak. I'm literally speechless. Why the hell would he do this? "N-No!" He looks at me as if I'm the weird one. "Look Stryder. We've been a little too comfortable with each other lately and I'm not comfortable with it. I realize I started it, but you finished it, and that's that. If you want to continue dating we can. It's basically useless at this point but I'll do whatever you want." He just sits there smirking, not acknowledging a thing I just said.

"Did you even listen to me?" He shakes his head. "Those hickeys were a little distracting." My eyes widen. Holy shit I forgot about them! I run past him and to my bathroom. There were four bright red and purple hickeys on my neck, just sitting there, out as day. I clench my teeth. I turn around to run to his room, but I run into something hard and I fall on my ass. I look up and see Stryder. I let out a loud grunt. "I'm going to strangle you." I murmur lowly. He backs up with his hands raised in surrender.

"It just seems like you're overreacting to all of this. I've been here, chilling, perfectly fine, while you seem like your hair is about to fall out." I stand up, taking deep breaths to calm myself. Maybe I am overreacting but everything is making me angry today. I guess I shouldn't take it out all on him. "Okay, here's the thing Stryder. You can come to the shop with me, but you can't be bugging me the entire time. I'll actually have to get work done." He nods. "I know, but I could sit there and watch you work, see what you're good at." I nod. I shoo him out so I can get dressed. Once I am, I grab my phone and keys and go downstairs. "I'm leaving Stryder!" I yell as I walk through the front door. He quickly catches up with me and we walk to my truck. Me in the driver's seat, him in the passenger's.

I drive to the shop, we get out and greet Eddie. "Hey Slick, who's the friend?" He asks, smiling knowingly. "My roommate, nothing more." He nods still smiling. They shake hands and I go to my garage. Stryder follows. I put on the overalls and I open the garage door, telling people I'm open. Stryder takes a seat near my toolbox. The first customer comes in and I get to work.

***

I had worked on about six different cars and Stryder sat there, watching the whole time. I thought he'd get bored and leave, or at least go get something to keep himself busy, but he never did. Once I finish up, I close my garage and I take the overalls off, washing the grease off of my arms, face, and hands. He gets up and stands next to me. "You know you look pretty hot with that grease on your face." I turn my head and look up at him. He smirks. "And so did those other guys. They checked you out the entire time you worked, did you know that?" I look at him and nod shamefully. "Yeah, it happens all the time. Eddie had to kick someone out one time because he had grabbed my ass." His eyes widen. Shit, I knew I shouldn't have told him.

"But don't worry! It's not a big deal. After that, no ones made a move on me. Only sometimes do they watch me intently. I'm okay." He looks at me as if I had just said the dumbest thing ever. "This job alone isn't safe. Now you have to worry about scum eyeing you and watching you creepily? I don't like that you work here." I put my hand on his chest out of habit. "Look, I know it doesn't seem right and it makes me very happy you care, but look around." He does as I ask. "You see all the men wearing the outfit I was wearing?" He looks back at me and nods. "They're all like my older brothers. They literally treat me like a sister. I don't know if you noticed but a few have been eyeing you, making sure you weren't a bad guy. Before I leave they're going to want to meet you."

He looks at me astonished. "You've got a good thing going don't you?" I nod. "They've made me a part of their family as cheesy as it sounds and I love all of them. Even Eddie, he's like a grandpa to me." An easy smile falls onto his face and he nods. "Okay." He puts his arm around my shoulder and we walk to the back door, walking inside the store. "Bye guys, have a good weekend!" I shout. They all shout, 'wait' or 'get your ass back here.' I smile and stop in my tracks, stopping Stryder too. They all took their break and came up to Stryder and I let out a laugh with a real smile. I start from my left, making my way around. "Harry, this is Stryder. Stryder, Harry." They do a manly handshake. "Teddy, Stryder, Stryder, Teddy." They shake too.