the one with the school.

-three-

Katherine

Once most of the walls are covered in yellow paint, I open a window to air it out. I wait for the top coat to dry. Once it does, I go back to the storage room, grabbing multiple different colors. As I get back to my room, I start painting sunflowers all over my room. As I realize I can no longer reach any higher, I let out a huff. It was around four now, so only Stryder would be home. I go to his room and knock on the door. "What?" I hear a voice call, annoyed. "I-It's Katherine, I, uh, was wondering if you knew where a ladder was?" There's shuffling on the other side then the door opens. He looks at me with a weird face. "Why?" I throw a thumb over my shoulder.

"Your mom said I could fix the room, so now I'm painting the walls and I can't reach any higher." Realization hits him. He licks his thumb then rubs my chin. "You, sweets, have paint all over you," Then he walks past me, leaving me to blush madly. I shake my head and follow him down the stairs. We walk into the garage. I look to my left and see a yellow ladder. I smile lightly. I try picking it up but somehow slip and fall onto my ass. Stryder starts bursting into laughter.

He helps me to my feet then picks up the ladder. "Let's go shorty, I don't have all day," He spits out. Someone's angry. I roll my eyes, then follow him to my room. He sets it up on one of the tarps. Then he leaves, closing the door. "Thank you!" I yell. I finish painting the rest of the walls, then continue the stem of the flower all the way to the ceiling. I stop it, then use a pencil to start drawing out the actual sunflower. I do this in a few spots, the rest of the flowers closer to the ground. I clean up my mess, leaving the ladder folded near the door. I'd have Lee or dad help me later.

I lay on my bed and look around my room. It was much prettier. I go out of my room and to the railing. "Anna, come look at my room!" I yell. "Alright!" I hear a voice faintly yell back. I run to the door and close it. I stand in front of it with a smile. She comes up the stairs twenty seconds later. I open the door dramatically and her mouth falls open. My bed sheets matched the walls and the room looked really nice. "Katherine, oh my i-it's gorgeous." I smile proudly. "You did all of this in three hours?" I nod. "I used to paint all the time. My walls are so thick because I've painted over them so many times." She lets out a laugh. She walks across the room, feeling the walls with her hand. "Not one room in this home is as lively as yours. I'm jealous." I shake my head smiling.

"I really like this touch. When you guys leave, I'll always have a piece of you." I smile wider. "Well, I'm glad you like it, I really do too." I hug her, then she closes the door leaving. I flop onto my bed and put Netflix on. I search for Friends, then start binging. About an hour later, someone knocks on the door. I pause the show. "Come in," I say as the door opens. "Dad? Is everything alright?" He nods excitedly. "Fire chief called saying something was saved from the fire!" I jump out of the bed. "Really?!" He smiles widely. We hug tightly. "Tomorrow's Saturday, so you and I are going to go visit and check it out." Happy tears leave. "I can also visit Gunner right?!" He nods slowly. My heart melts. Tomorrow's going to be good.

My dad kisses the top of my head, "Night kiddo," I blow him a kiss then get comfortable in the bed, falling asleep.

***

Before I even realize what's happening, my dad's pulling me out of bed and into his car. I'm half asleep as I see the mansion behind us. I fall back asleep.

By the time I'm awake, it's ten and we're almost to the fire station. As we get out and walk into the garage, the chief comes out smiling. "Hart's, hey!" He says giving my dad a handshake and me a pat on the head. He pulls a small silver box out from behind his back. "Here, it was found in the backyard behind a bush." He gives the box to my dad and he starts to tear up. He gives the box to me. "Open it, it's for you." I look at him questionably but do as I'm told. As I open the box, I see a matching pair of earrings and a necklace. It was sunflower earrings and necklace. I start tearing up.