Episode 9.6

(Previously: Streamline turns himself in to police along with Vecto's body. The scene switches to Dr. Azmeck and Crysilis.)

Beep. An annoying buzz came from Azmeck's desk. Dr. Azmeck had on a visor, welding wires together on his old robot. He touched his ear to retract the force-field visor, stopped his task, and stumbled over robotic parts to tap the beeping device.

Crysilis shook his head. "You could have called it," he said, amused at Azmeck's futile efforts.

"Ah, zip it," Azmeck snapped back. A chair rose from the floor and Azmeck sat, snatching an accompanying glass of sparkling grape juice as he stared at the Nexus screen. The message was a news feed, programmed to give Azmeck only the news that would be of interest.

"Just in," a female reporter said. "Police have reported that Alpha Squad member Streamline, wanted for attempted robbery late last night, has been apprehended and incarcerated."

"Eh?" Azmeck almost choked on his drink.

"Police have also reported that they have successfully destroyed the robot Vecto, the leader of the A.S., wanted for a slew of murders that have plagued the SS6 and members of the police force." The screen switched to show a picture of Vecto's destroyed remains. "This makes a climatic end of a two-day search for this man and machine, who have-"

Azmeck shut the screen off. He didn't want to hear any more.

"Well, looks like they think Vecto's dead." Crysilis grinned. "At least that bodes well for us."

"Just, just-what are you thinking?" Azmeck scolded. "They've captured Streamline. My, my, what are we going to do? We've got to rescue him!"

Crysilis paused to let Azmeck vent his concern. "Not so, old man."

"What? Who do you think you're talking to-calling me an old man?"

"What I mean," Crysilis explained, "is that Streamline turned himself in on purpose. We both know it would be near impossible for the police to apprehend him, and Streamline could easily escape if he wanted to. He did this to clear his name."

Azmeck swirled in his chair and stroked his beard, listening.

"He knew that if he kept running, it would only deepen the public contempt for the A.S. It would mean that they would target me and keep a keen eye on you and others affiliated with us. Which means that, in addition to himself, he must have also turned in Vecto's body to calm the public's fears of a crazed Vecto and Diamese mugger on the loose."

"Ah, yes, I see." Azmeck nodded. "Can't trust the news, eh? So what do you propose to do next? With the Alpha Squad, I mean."

Crysilis shook his head. "This marks the end of the A.S. and the beginning of a new era."

"What do you mean?"

"If it's true that Morphaal is back, we have successfully disbanded at his delight," Crysilis said. "I want you to go on alone with Vecto. Try and fix him on that ship and get some leads on Zendora. I'll rendezvous later. As leader of the A.S. now, it's my job to reband the squad. I'll need to find every capable person I can willing to help us stand up to Morphaal." He crossed his arm and stared at the machine Azmeck had worked on. "I see dark days ahead of us from here on."

"I'll do my best," Azmeck affirmed. "I'll go reserve us a spot on the Corona. We'll meet at the Kapi city loading dock in three days."

"Good, and do bring the robot, will ya?" Crysilis joked and disappeared.

(How will they sneak Vecto on the ship? Find out more in the next installment of Vecto: Vengeance!)