Episode 3.6

(Previously: Vecto protects Chais from harm and asks Axe to give up, but the assassin aims a nuclear warhead at him.) 

In a desperate attempt, Axe reached into a dark bag and lifted a nuclear warhead missile launcher in the air, aiming it at Vecto. 

"I guess that's a no," Vecto stated, remaining still. Then I have no choice, he thought, cutting off the light from his chest. He knew that the missile launcher was empty and used as a bluff to keep him from attacking, but he was tired of playing games. 

Where'd he go? Axe thought. The assassin's mechanical eye scanned the area, using infrared. But instead of Vecto, it picked out a small missile approaching. The missile had fired from a compartment in Vecto's foot and was randomly swirling, tossing in the air at a slow speed, almost drunklike. Axe scanned the Foot Missile to check its explosive content. 

A thousand pounds! the sniper thought. The whole building's gonna explode! Looking for an exit, Axe left some weapons behind and jumped through the window, using arm shields to prevent cuts from the shattering glass. The sniper tumbled in the sky, feeling the wind zip by, watching the ground get closer. In a quick shift, the assassin snatched an orb hanging from a belt clip and hurled the ball below. It struck the surface and expanded, creating a burst of illuminating purple foam to break the fall. Axe flipped backward and landed on it, bouncing from the cushion. The downed fighter then reached out as an arm-attached umbrella shield formed. In one deep breath, Axe locked the arm-gear in place and sunk into the foam. 

The delayed explosion severed the whole roof from the factory building. Axe's ears throbbed from the sonic boom. Slabs of burning metal fell from the sky, raining down on the arm shield. A large chunk stabbed the surface beside the shield as another crashed on top, flattening the foam and sending threads of it in the air like feathers. 

Luckily, the metal wall remained stationary and didn't collapse from the burning building. Axe looked around as tiny shards, dust, and purple threads sprinkled around. Light from the flames danced across Axe's armor, now camouflaged purple. The killer was still alive, with a heavy piece of the roof crushing the assassin's legs. 

"Checkmate," a voice said. Chais stood over Axe and pointed his extended Crossblade inches from the assassin's face mask. He slid a switch on the sword handle and two blades flipped out from the sides, forming an "X" from Axe's viewpoint. 

"Who are you? And why are you going after us?" Chais asked. 

Axe coughed from the dust and responded in a hoarse voice. "They call me Axe." 

Chais leaned over and yanked off the assassin's mask, revealing the attempted killer's identity. 

(Who is Axe? And why did the assassin go after Vecto? Find out more in the next installment of Vecto: Vengeance!)