Episode 6.7

(Previously: Vecto escapes his cocoon by burrowing under ground. He then steps up the violence, killing everyone in his way.) 

Brail heard an explosion as he ran toward Prometheus' holding bay. He stopped at the main entrance and looked back to see flames towering in the sky. "Why?" he asked himself aloud. "Why destroy your former home?" He remembered Vecto as a savior, not a murderer. But Brail didn't have time to think of reasons. All he knew was that Vecto was their enemy and had to be stopped. 

He scanned his hand and punched the security code in the door of the holding bay to release the lock. If he couldn't stop Vecto with Prometheus, there was no chance of survival, he thought.  

* * * 

Walker tanks fired at Vecto as he fell. They were bulky and resembled beetles. Three nozzles extended from there heads. Vecto dodged the warheads in midair and fired back with anti-tank rockets, blowing up the tanks. He landed hard, and an explosive cannon ball struck his shields, catapulting him into the SS6 academy building. In a flash, the pillar-style building was destroyed from the cannon's power. 

Vecto tossed a pillar off him and emerged from the rubble. He was getting tired. His shields were fluctuating, still with a red tint caused by his anger. An Acro walker tank took heavy steps and aimed its cannons at him. 

"Your deaths are imminent," Vecto shouted. "Now tell me where Morphaal is!"  

The tank fired. Vecto dodged the shell and ran toward the tank. He jammed his gun in one of its nozzles and fired away, taking it out from the inside. He yanked it up, lifting the tank in the air with his gun, and tossed it into a building. 

His shield fluctuated as he glanced at his surroundings. The soldiers were in hiding now, he thought. A couple of bullets struck his shield. He turned around to see a pair of brave soldiers standing in front of a fuel station. 

"Put your weapons down!" one of the soldiers yelled. 

Vecto paced toward them. He levitated a shotgun to his hand. "Where's Morphaal and Sable?"  

"I said put your weapons down!" the soldier repeated. 

"Where is Morphaal?"  

"Even if we knew, you'd still kill us!" the other soldier yelled back, firing at Vecto to no avail. 

"Perhaps," Vecto acknowledged and shot at the two men, then turned to walk away. But the shots didn't hit them. The soldiers looked at each other and then behind to see a combustible pipe explode, the flames engulfing them before they could run. 

They deserved it, Vecto told himself. They were just as corrupt as Sable. With mere thoughts, he flipped the numerous weapons around in his shield as he continued his murderous march. 

One hundred twenty-nine left to go, he thought. 

* * * 

A few miles away, at the rear of the complex, two green lights glared in the dark like cat's eyes. Large mechanical arms stretched out in the confines of a cargo building. The thing stood, reaching 56 feet tall. Slowly, two panels on the roof slid apart, allowing a glare of light to slit across a green and red face of metal. The gap enlarged as the light widened, revealing a gigantic humanoid machine with glaring eyes, a mute, unmoving mouth, and arms the size of tractor trailers. 

A hand reached out and grabbed the edge of the roof above, crushing fingers into it. With a heave, the piloted mech lifted its massive body to roof eye-level. The green eyes scanned over the roof as it pulled itself through the hatch, its knee crashing on top. Ominously, Prometheus scanned the surface below, searching for Vecto-searching for something to destroy-the purpose of its awakening. 

(Will the Prometheus mech be able to stop Vecto? Or will Morphaal finally step in? Find out more in the next installment of Vecto: Vengeance!) 

If you like the story, please support me by purchasing the book on Amazon, etc. Just click the link on my profile page! Alternatively, you can always help out by voting, commenting, and telling your friends about the story!