Episode 8.8

(Previously: Vecto throws Streamline through buildings and prepares to end the battle when Streamline tells Vecto about how he hit his wife and upset his brother-in-law.)

Vecto kept his blaster pointed at Streamline.

"It drove him to the edge." Streamline shook his head. "We were on a vital mission aboard a naval ship when I went to check on him. I was worried, feeling guilty for having demoted him. But he was waiting for me, hiding. He came at me with an axe. He had me on the ground, grinding the blade into my face as I tried to hold it back with my bare hands." Streamline motioned to his scar.

Vecto let him continue.

"I managed to get free, barely able to move, when suddenly he snatched my gun and walked to the edge of the ship," Streamline said, taking a deep breath to fight back a tear. "He committed suicide, Vecto, right before my eyes. How I survived is a mystery, but I don't want to lose another friend like that."

Vecto slowly lowered his gun. He knew about Streamline's wife and kids subsequently dying, he knew about the destruction of his homeworld, but Streamline had always kept silent about the plights he endured. Despite all that he suffered, Streamline unremittingly continued his life, fighting for . . . fighting for what was good.

But the thought soon faded, as if being suppressed by Vecto's mind. Why could he not concentrate? What's wrong with me? Vecto wondered.

Vecto stepped back. His head convulsed as he looked around him. He looked down at his orb. It was glowing, flickering black, sucking carbon from around him. His shields were returning.

"I'm sorry, Streamline," Vecto said, his voice cracking. "Destroy me . . ." His gun arm slowly lifted, pointing at Streamline. "I cannot control!" he said. It was as if he were a puppet, and some unknown force was pulling the strings. Vecto fought back, trying to resist it.

"It's okay, Vecto," Streamline said. He reached for his grenade. "I'll make it painless."

But Vecto couldn't control himself long enough. The gun fired, launching a massive blast at Streamline before he could toss the grenade . . .

The beam stopped inches before his face. Streamline's hand was frozen in place, the bomb clutched firmly in his grasp. Even the sweat from his face declined to drip down his cheek as Vecto stood, inert.

Time had frozen. Crysilis was standing in front of the two, shaking his head in displeasure. "The things I do for you two . . ." he said.

(Crysilis is back from the Gateway of Time and can freeze time, but how limited is this power? Find out more in the next installment of Vecto: Vengeance!)

If you like the story, please support me by purchasing the book on Amazon, etc. Just click the link on my profile page! Alternatively, you can always help out by voting, commenting, and telling your friends about the story!

Below is Vecto battered from the fight.