Prologue 0.3

(Previously: Alpha Squad teammates Vecto, Gyro, and Phantom leave to track down Morphaal's henchmen.)

Vecto ceased his internal memory data replay. He was inside the same room from that day three years ago. But this time, Gyro wasn't around to make him a new body. This time, he had to do it himself. 

Vecto curved his shields into the shape of a body and mentally floated raw metal within it. He missed Gyro's delightful banter but disregarded the emotion as nothing more than a programmed response. He was only a machine, after all, he thought. 

If Gyro were alive, he would have insisted on making Vecto's new body. It gave Gyro peace of mind, as if he felt responsible for its destruction in the first place. At least he'd been able to use Dinishmen technology the last time-hovering parts and wireless laser conduction included-just like his original model. Now that body, too, was destroyed. All that remained working was his orb and an oddly shaped foot. These things, plus his shields and enough metal, is all he needed to make a body. The sole of his foot contained an Air-to-Ice function that could create ice from air, and his heel had a Flame Booster installation that could propel him at fast speeds. He could use these functions to heat and cool the metal. 

Vecto floated the foot within his shields and used the Air-to-Ice function to freeze the valignium metal. Valignium, often called tyrannium, was unique compared to other metals. When subjected to extreme cold, its molecular bonds weaken, allowing it to be shaped. With his outer shield in its desired form, Vecto used his inner shield to press against the metal-to mold it into a new body part. Vecto shaped the rare metal into a piece that would become part of his leg, then, using the same foot, heated the valignium with flame to strengthen it. He had just a few more parts left to complete his new body frame. If only the old one hadn't been destroyed, he thought. If only Gyro hadn't died. 

Vecto didn't consider his existence important enough to die for. He was a mere machine-replaceable-yet Gyro had sacrificed himself for what? Returning the favor for all the times Vecto had done the same? It was incomprehensible. Illogical. Vecto could be rebuilt. Not Gyro.  

Once again, Vecto told himself that it was all his fault. If only he had stopped Morphaal's puppet beforehand. If only he had been stronger. If only the Alpha Squad had disbanded after Morphaal's death. If only Phantom and Gyro were still alive. 

The hiss of the door caught Vecto's attention as he hovered his new leg into place. Standing in the entranceway was his servant, Azul. Vecto's blue-skinned companion had half-spiked white hair. He was dressed in gold and white and wore several silver bracelets. Vecto nodded to acknowledge him. 

"I am truly sorry to interrupt." Azul spoke softly, bowing. "But I have grave news." 

Vecto nodded again for him to continue. 

"Morphaal has been revived." 

(After years of death, Morphaal is back, but with Gyro and Phantom now dead, how can Vecto find and defeat Morphaal? Find out more in the next installment of Vecto: Vengeance!) 

If you like the story, please support me by purchasing the book on Amazon, etc. Just click the link on my profile page! Alternatively, you can always help out by voting, commenting, and telling your friends about the story!

Below is Vecto in his new body!