Chapter 45

Author's note: sorry for being gone for a while... I was extremely busy & I had writer's block... And when things died down and I had some time, I got this really bad headache. Turns out my back muscles are extremely tense and the tension is causing the headache. So I'm a bit slow on writing and reaction to messages because of the pain, but don't worry, I'll be just fine!! Hope you'll stick with me through this hiccup!

To make it up to you, this is a VERY long chapter :D

Enjoy :)

=============

I was beyond relieved when I finally saw the ugly black building of my school again on Sunday evening. After everything that had happened, I was glad to rush into Simon’s arms and huddle under a blanket with him as we watched Frozen and ate ice cream. He had even made good on his promise to get me some booze: an entire bottle of Baileys Chocolate Luxe was waiting for me when I got to his dorm, and after about thirty minutes, we were already halfway through.

“So he just didn’t believe you when you told him it was compulsion?” Simon asked, shaking his head while sipping his drink. “I can’t believe it – Eros has never doubted you before.”

I sighed and gulped down yet another glass of the delicious beverage. I knew I had to slow down if I didn’t want to end up sprawled on the floor, but the buzz made me feel less anxious and sad about the fact that Eros and I were officially in a fight now. Benjamin had never confessed to compelling Dylan, but I could swear he enjoyed the fact that it drove a wedged between Eros and me. Ben had gotten us a suite at the Dream Hotel and judging by the sounds Eros and I had heard coming from Dylan’s and Carl’s room before we started pounding on the wall so they’d keep quiet, they had enjoyed themselves immensely. Eros and I… not so much.

We had talked the events of that night over, but he had blatantly refused to believe that it was possible to control someone’s mind so easily. Even when I explained that Ben’s aura clearly showed that he was incredibly strong, Eros kept telling me I was mistaken. He just thought that Dylan had made a drunken mistake, and Benjamin that wasn’t that a very moral person, so had gone along with it. Besides, Ben had hardly been sober either. Even though Eros’ argument sounded reasonable and I could feel that he wasn’t opposing me to spite me or anything, I stayed mad at him. I was his girlfriend – if he didn’t believe me, then what did that mean for us?

We had gotten into a nasty fight during our flight back and I hadn’t talked to him since. Our bond was running low now, both of us recoiling from the other without having the heart to actually shut off the connection completely. Even if I was mad at him, I wanted to know he was okay. Shutting him out would only make him feel worse and no matter how annoying he was, I didn’t want that.

“Are you okay?” Simon asked, handing me the bucket of ice cream. “You look like crap.”

“Thanks,” I said irritated, smacking him on the arm. “That makes me feel so much better.”

Simon laughed and put an arm around me so I could rest my head against him while I stuffed my face with the delicious desert. “You know I love you, and I think you’re absolutely right to be mad, but Eros’ refusal to believe you is not about you at all.”

“No?” I asked, pulling away to look at him. “What’s it about then?”

Simon sighed and raked a hand thought his hair, shifting the blanket so that it was covering his left leg as well as his right. “It’s about his fear of his powers.” When I opened my mouth to protest, he pressed a hand to my mouth. “Just listen, alright? I swear I can explain.”