Chapter 54

Mahatma Gandhi once said that the weak can never forgive. That forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. If she was right, I must be weak and I was okay with that for the time being.

Once my hangover had evaporated and I was excused from the hospital wing, the first thing I did was go to my own room. Not Eros' dorm, not even Simon's. My own. Anyone who knew me even the tiniest bit knew that even that small act of defiance showed how mad I truly was.

Of course, Simon came to see me the moment he knew I was out of the nurse's care. He filled me in on what had happened during the days I'd been out of it. Eros was in big trouble, of course and it seemed even Hammerhead was done with him. Cornelia Eisenburg, the stern witch from KTS, had been informed, but she hadn't replied to Hammerhead's phone calls yet, so Eros' fate was still unsure. Hammerhead felt certain that Eros could still remain at the school, but he had already taken measures to make sure that he couldn't sneak out again. There were no camera's in every single room of Eros' dorm, which annoyed his roommates to no end. The new security guard had been informed to keep a close eye on Eros and no amount of coffee could erase the tapes anymore. Finally, there was a proper back-up system in place.

On top of all of that, Dylan and Eros weren't on speaking terms. This pleased me to no end, although I probably should have felt sad for Eros. His best friend and his girlfriend were not speaking to him. He was already having a hard time as it was and we weren't making things easier on him.

"I really think you should talk to him," Simon told me, ignoring my death stare. "He is in pieces, Demona. His Mom called him yesterday to make plans so you and him could come to Todd's charity event next week and I swear Eros was almost crying when he finally hung up."

"Good," I spat, even though I could already feel my resolve to stay mad wavering deep within me. I wasn't ready to forgive and forget. Not by a long shot. "He should feel bad."

Simon sighed deeply and slumped down in his seat. "I knew you'd say that. And trust me, I'm mad at him too, but really, this is no different from any other time he lost it. He didn't do this on purpose, Dem, you know that. He couldn't feel worse if he tried. He needs you now more than ever."

"And I needed him to keep his word and not get himself into a situation like this," I snarled. "He could get kicked out of school for this, Sy. And on top of that, he must have known that there was a risk of losing me in the process."

"You don't mean that," Simon replied, but I could tell that he was taken-aback by just how livid I was. "You still love him."

"And he loves me, but that didn't keep him from putting me in danger. I was our for two days, Sy. Because of what and Ben did. Why should I just roll over and forgive them?"

"I'm not saying you should just forget about it all!" Simon sat up straight and pulled a hand through his messy brown hair, making it stick up in weird angles. "Just talk to him. Or even just let him in again. He told me that you've been keeping up your barriers with him ever since you woke up."

"So you're still talking to him, huh?" At this point, I was starting to get mad at Simon as well.

"I'm pretty much all he's got left."

That shut me up and I took a deep breath to gather my thoughts. Before I needed to form a response, Dylan walked into my dorm with a huge bouquet of flowers in his arms. He threw them on the table and sunk down on the couch.

"Ben says sorry," Dylan said, gesturing at the gift. "Again."

I sighed. The whole room was already filled with flowers, chocolates and other cheesy gifts. My uncle hadn't tried to talk to me yet, but he'd been making sure I knew that this hadn't been his intention. I wasn't sure whether I believed him or not.