Chapter 44

Watching Ben and Dylan go at each other like they were trying to eat the other person's face was disturbing on so many levels that it was hard to pick the worst one. First off, they were family – they might not be brothers or anything, but I was pretty sure what they were doing counted as incest. Aside from that, their auras were completely black with just the faintest shimmer or silver – no red whatsoever, not even a spark to indicate attraction. And last but not least, Carl had made his way through the crowd and came to a full stop at that very moment, the drinks he'd been getting falling onto the floor and shattering into a million pieces as he watched his boyfriend cheat on him.

I cursed loudly and made my way over to Dylan and Benjamin, grabbing them by their hair and yanking them apart. Benjamin's bright eyes seemed to radiate blue light as he looked down on me with an amused smile. His lips were slightly swollen, his hands still on Dylan's back.

"Let go of him!" I told my horrible new uncle, pushing at him with both hands.

Ben obliged with a roll of his eyes. He seemed completely unaffected by my anger, whereas Dylan was still standing in the middle of the dance floor, frozen up completely. He shook his head to clear it and frowned for a moment, shaking off the last weirdness as he glanced up at me.

"What's going on?" he asked when he saw me and Benjamin facing off. "Did you hurt her?" he hissed at Ben, his face going hard.

I blinked a few times, trying to wrap my head around what was happening – how could Dylan seem so completely unaware of what had just happened?

I saw his eyes searching the crowd for his boyfriend. Dylan and I spotted Carl at the exact same time, and Dylan's aura surged up in a shade of red so bright that it put the pulsing lights of the club to shame.

"Carl?" Dylan yelled when his boyfriend turned around, tears running over his face.

He started after him, but I pulled him back by the hem of his shirt. I wasn't sure it was a good idea to let him go after Carl if he didn't even know what had just happened. I motioned for Eros to follow Carl and he did so without hesitation, weaving through the room crammed with dancing people without difficultly.

"Come on," I told Dylan, taking his clammy hand in mine.

He protested, but followed me to the toilets anyway. There was a long line at the women's restroom, so I pulled him into the men's, forcing the guy taking a piss there to leave immediately. He cussed, but complied when he saw my angry glare.

"What's going on?" Dylan asked as I locked the door and started turning on the faucets. "What are you doing, Dem?"

"Shh," I told him, flushing the toilets before facing Dylan. "I don't want Ben to overhear us and I'm not sure how good his hearing his."

"Overhear what?" He was staring to get anxious. "Dem – what happened out there? Why was Carl crying? Why won't you let me go to him?"

"You really don't remember?" I asked, although I already knew the answer. "You... well, I guess you cheated on him."

Dylan's eyes went wide and he opened and closed his mouth a few times before being able to speak. "No, I didn't! I would never do that."

"Yeah well, you just did." I had to force myself to stay calm while I flushed the toilets again. "With Ben."

Dylan inhaled sharply and grasped my arms so tightly it hurt. "Please tell me this is some kind of sick joke, Dem. Don't tell me I actually kissed my uncle!"

I tried to wriggle free but he wouldn't let me. "You don't remember?"

"Oh God." Dylan's nails dug into my skin, making me yelp. "He compelled me, didn't he? Oh no, Carl... Goddamnit!"