Chapter 58

One of the perks of having a boyfriend is being able to celebrate Valentine's Day. I agreed with Dylan when he bitched about what a useless, commercial holiday it was, but I'd been secretly looking forward to it all the same.

Last year, I had celebrated the day with Simon in the pancake restaurant nearby. That seemed like a lifetime ago. This year, Simon was alone, not interested in anyone, while Eros and I made plans. I felt bad for Simon, but it was better for him to spend it alone and with Amy. Boy, that girl had turned out to be such a bitch. It was hard to remember how fond Simon had been of her.

"So, did you get a present for Carl yet?" I asked Dylan from my cozy place on the couch with Eros.

He grumbled. "It's such a stupid day, I have no idea what to get him."

"Sex?" Eros suggested, his eyes still on Mission Impossible that was currently playing. "Never can go wrong with that. Put a boy on it and you're done."

"Actually..." Dylan frowned. "Carl might actually love it if I did that. He'd think it was the most hilarious and sweet thing ever."

"I seriously don't need to know that you thing is hilarious," Eros teased him. "I'm not sure that's a good thing. No one has ever called mine hilarious. Or sweet."

"That's because it's hard to chose an adjective for something that small."

"Guys," I complained, wanting to end their banter, "stop being stupid. Seriously, Dylan, you need to do something nice for Carl. I bet he'd love it if you put some thought into it."

"I know, I know." Dylan rolled his eyes. "What are you guys doing for each other? Because I know for a fact that Eros can't count on his fallback present sex this time around."

My mood went dark when he said that. I would have loved that for a present. Stupid bond.

"We're gonna wait to decide until the last minute, because we don't feel like going through the trouble of keeping something a secret and we don't feel like turning off the bond," I said, cursing the fact that we were bondmates for the millionth time. Keeping something from him wasn't undoable, but it wasn't much fun and we wanted to enjoy every minute before he left for Denver.

"I figured you'd fill the room with heart shaped balloons and put rose petals on the bed or something, eat dinner together, fool around all night..." Dylan frowned. "I guess I just planned my evening with Carl."

"You hate all that stuff!" Eros laughed. "You're not seriously going to buy balloons and rose petals?"

"Carl loves it and he loves Carl," I told Eros, nudging him. "I wouldn't mind a bit of romance either, even if we make it some last minute romance."

As I had predicted the moment Dylan came up with the idea, I ended up doing most of the preparations for him. On Wednesday evening, I helped Leo and Dylan decorate both or their rooms with so much Valentine's Day decoration that it looked like they lived in a Hallmark card.

Eros' roommates weren't the only ones making plans. Will had decided that the time was right to put the moves on Minnie. I'd talked to Minnie about it and she'd agreed with him that Valentine's Day was the right time to find out if they could be more than just friends. If she ended up feeling the spark as well, great, but if not, Will had agreed that he would stop hoping for something to happen.

Davy had come around to our down, asking Paulie for advice on what to buy Sam. They still weren't an official couple, but they had been calling and texting every day since she left school. Sam had gotten a job already, working as a waitress, and she was applying for collages in the meantime, wanting to get out of her parent's place as soon as possible.