Chapter 41

Thanks to Rangaaa for editing!

When we reached Miami, we rented a car and immediately headed to Weston, where Benjamin was supposedly living. We would head back to the bustling city later, but we just wanted to get the hard part over with first. Dylan was slowly tensing up and even Carl’s reassuring speeches didn’t do much for him. I felt comforted by Dylan’s moodiness – it felt more familiar and comfortable than his brighter, positive attitude.

I was driving the car, which made for a very bumpy ride since I had difficulty getting used to it. About half-way to Weston Eros forced me to pull over and we switched seats. Normally I would have protested, but I knew he was right: I couldn’t focus on the task at hand if my life depended on it and I really didn’t want to crash us into another vehicle. So I rode shotgun from that moment on, watching the waving palm trees slide by.

The weather was quite nice, even though even in Florida there was still some left-over snow. The sun was shining though, although the air was still cold and humid. I was freezing and burning up at the same time, even in the car. My eyes were the part burning up: even with sunglasses on and sipping blood from my travel mug, I had difficulty managing the light. Eros and Dylan squinted a bit, but they didn’t have to adjust as much as I did. I guess I was still not fully accepting the fact that I was turning into a bloodsucking creature, even though I had started to actually enjoy the cups of coffee mixed with blood that Dylan prepared for me every day.

“Dem…” Eros’ voice sounded uncharacteristically unsure. “I think this is it…”

I glanced out the front window, trying to look through the tears clouding my vision. Damn you, stupid sun. What I made out didn’t seem like a place a young vampire man would live: palm trees, a huge pond, big-ass buildings scattered around the compound and a large sign reading: ‘The Palace: senior living’.

“I thought you said he was in his early twenties,” Carl said surprised. “I was prepared for a hot guy with Dylan’s incredible looks and Demona’s endearing personality, not a grandpa.”

Endearing personality?” Dylan repeated skeptically just when I choked out “incredible looks?!”

“I swear, this is the right address,” Eros said, just as surprised as we were. He pulled up to the parking lot and we all rushed out of the car, walking up to the main entrance of a large building.

A young attractive woman with a neat blonde bun on top of her head greeted us politely. Her expression was one of carefully controlled hospitality. “Good afternoon, are you first-time visitors?”

I glanced at Eros, wondering if we should just ask for Benjamin or if feign a visit to our grandmothers. It was Dylan who finally made the call.

“We’re looking for Benjamin Foul – would you happened to know him?”

To my surprise, the woman giggled and straightened her crisp white blouse. “Why yes, of course I know Ben. Are you friends of his?”

“Erm… family, I guess,” I replied hesitantly.

“I didn’t know he had any besides his mom,” she said with a frown. She shrugged it off and directed us to one of the buildings where most of the staff that lived on the compound resided.

“So this is it?” Dylan asked when we finally found the right door.

The sign sated very clearly that Benjamin and Julia Foul indeed lived in apartment number 214B, but I couldn’t believe we had found it this easily. I wouldn’t have been surprised if his apartment hadn’t existed at all.