Chapter 56

Visiting my dad again wasn't much different from the other two times I'd seen him so far. He seemed to go crazy sometimes, yelling or hitting the glass, but when his eyes locked with Mom's, his mood seemed to shift, become more stable. He played us a few Bob Dylan songs this time and once again commented on Mom wearing her wedding ring.

I wish I could say that me and my father were starting to bond, but that just wasn't the case. I still felt blessed to finally know he was alive, but he didn't truly feel like a father figure and I doubted he ever truly would. He hadn't raised me and he wasn't in the right position or state of mind to start playing much of a role in my life.

Mom was fidgety when she drove me back to school after an early dinner and I knew she wanted to say something, so I just waited until she would. Sure enough, she cleared her throat when we were about ten minutes from the gates leading to the school grounds.

"I visited your father without you a few days ago," she said softly. "I just wanted to have a chance to talk to him about some things from the past."

"Oh," I replied, trying to keep my voice neutral. "How did that go?"

She shrugged and stared at the road before her. "Okay, I guess. The reason I'm telling you is... I know that you would have loved for me and Jack to fall in love all over again, but that's just not gonna happen. Ever."

"I know." It had been quite evident to me that she had been struggling with this all day. The fact that she'd forced Noah to make the effort of getting in my good books had been an obvious way to make sure I got the hint that my mother was moving on from my dad with another man.

"I'm sorry, Dem, but I am happy that I can talk to him again, see him, know that he's alive. In a way..." She hesitated and glanced over a time. "In a way I think I needed to see your father to realize that I am truly ready to invest in a new relationship."

"I get it." I took a deep breath to keep the hurt out of my voice. I should be happy for Mom. Noah Lennon was a great man and he'd raised a fine son, had a good job and seemed to truly like my mother. It was all I'd ever wanted for her growing up: to meet someone and be happy. Now that I knew my dad was still alive... it did change things for me, but since it only strengthened her belief that moving on was the best thing for her, I should support her in that.

Jeesh, I though to myself with a smile, if I didn't know any better, I might be fooled to think I'm finally growing up a bit.

When we said our goodbyes, Mom almost cried. It was hard to see how relived she was to have my blessing to keep dating Noah instead of investing in my dad. She looked down at her wedding ring, but didn't take it off. I hoped she would keep it on the way Noah still wore his dead wife's ring. To remind herself that while that love was lost, it was still a part of her and would always be.

***

When I walked to the entrance of the school about an hour before curfew would set in, I was too preoccupied to pay proper attention to my surroundings. It was ridiculous that anyone would be able to surprise me, with my vampire hearing and all that shit, but of course I jumped when I heard a soft voice whisper in my ear.

"Hi there, little one."

I squealed, some of it from the utter surprise, most of it in delight because my boyfriend was standing right besides me, smirking. The wind made his tousled brown hair stand up in a way that made him look younger than he really was.

"This is where we met!" Instead of hugging or kissing me, he stepped back and opened his arms in a grand gesture around him. "This is where you flashed me your fangs for the first time."