Chapter 40

"You broke up with Amy?” I let out a surprised laugh that sounded more like I was choking than anything else. “Why?”

“You know why,” Simon grunted, looking away from me. “You saw right through me from the beginning. I was never going to learn to love her and frankly, I shouldn’t have to learn to love anyone. I should just fall, like I did for you a long time ago.”

“Why now?” I pressed. “You could have dumped her weeks ago, months even.”

“She doesn’t want me to see you anymore,” he confessed. “She knows it was an accident and everyone has been telling her how awful you feel and that you can’t even bear to look at the damage you’ve done. She knows that. And yet she still pressured me about dropping you, cutting you from my life completely.” He shook his head and smiled ruefully. “If she didn’t realize that I would never do that to my bondmate, she mustn’t know me very well. I’d rather be alone than with someone who thinks I’d be so cruel just to give into her pathetic pleas.”

I had never seen such venom in his eyes or heard the hard edge he now had to his voice.

“I love you for that,” I told him, grasping his hand. “But I did bite both of you. It’s only reasonable she would feel-”

“No!” Simon exclaimed, taking back his hand. “No, Demona, stop it. I’ve seen you defend Sheila, warm up to Amy for my sake, forgive Eros for everything he did, support Dylan through everything, cover for everyone around here… I know you feel like you have to fix everyone or at least be there in any way you can, but not this time, okay?” He was breathing heavily, his head pounding from the effort of raising his voice. “You told me a long time ago that you don’t want to be my hero, that I shouldn’t regard you as my savior. I’ve been working on that – but please, Dem… You need to stop trying to act like one if you don’t want to be one.”

I let out a surprised laugh. “But Sy… Amy’s got a point when she-”

“There’s nothing reasonable about that girl,” Simon countered. “She’s a good person, but she needs figure out her life and I was a fool to think I could help her do that. To think I somehow owed it to her just because she helped me get over you. It was cruel to keep dating her when I knew it wasn’t going to work, but now… NO. She needs a good therapist, not a boyfriend who’s not even in love with her.”

I hugged Simon and breathed in his familiar scent. I could smell the dried blood on his bandage, but last night’s rampage had left me fully sated, ensuring that I wouldn’t have to worry about feeding for at least a little while.

“Are you crying again?” he asked surprised, feeling his shirt get soaked.

“Only a little,” I sniffed, laughing into his shoulder. “Okay – a lot, actually.”

“You know Eros is going to pester you about feeding from now on?” Simon asked when the waterworks had finally eased into soft sobbing.

I grimaced and angrily wiped my eyes.

“He’s right,” Simon pressed. “You should start drinking animal blood, Dem. I know it’ll be hard, but if this happens one more time, it’ll destroy you.”

I got up and patted his shoulder awkwardly. “It was good to see you’re alright with my own two eyes – even if they’re a little clouded by all the tears. I really need to go now, curfew is upon us.”

“Dem!”

I ignored him yelling after me and took off, wrapping my arms around Eros who I’d felt waiting for me just around the corner.