Chapter 38

TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY :D YEEEEEEEEY :D

Thanks to Rangaaaaa for editing! :) You rock, dude!

===========

When Mr. Lennon dropped us of at my old home, dear old Mom insisted that he came inside as well to enjoy our extremely belated Christmas meal. He seemed charmed by my mother and I had to admit she’d cleaned up nicely. She was wearing a beautiful red winter dress with black leather pumps underneath. She’d obviously gone shopping for this occasion. She liked to have a reason to buy new clothes and apparently the lunch today had served as an excuse.

“You didn’t tell me Dylan’s father was coming along,” Mom whispered to me when we were preparing the food while all the guys watched TV in the living room. “I thought Eros was driving.”

“He offered last-minute,” I shrugged. “Trust me – I would’ve preferred Dylan to stay at the school.”

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Mom scoffed. “Dylan’s always welcome here. I’d just like to have a heads up next time you take a handsome man into our shabby apartment.”

“Why thank you,” Mr. Lennon called from the other room. “Did I mention I share my son’s supernatural hearing?”

Mom flushed bright red and shot me a horrified look. I couldn’t help but laugh as I walked into the room to hand Eros and Dylan their plates.

“Extra tofu for you,” I told Dylan with a smile, momentarily forgetting I was mad at him. My mother’s embarrassing action had taken my mind off my problems momentarily. “I remember how much you loved Mom’s recipe.”

He looked taken-aback but thanked me anyway, his father’s frown forcing him to civil. I walked back to the kitchen for Simon’s and Mr. Lennon’s plates, laughing when I saw my mother leaning against the counter with her hands covering her face.

“Come on, Mom, you can’t stay here forever.” I pushed her out and handed Mr. Lennon’s lunch. “Go on and give that handsome man his food.”

His booming laugh sounded through the room, and he got up to take the plate from my mother. “Don’t worry – this is most certainly not the first time I’ve made a woman feel utterly stupid by making a remark I should have kept to myself. My wife used to tell me that I need to learn when to keep my mouth shut.”

“I used to say the same thing to my husband,” Mom replied with an almost flirty smile. “Guess it’s just one of the many flaws men tend to have.”

“One of many huh?” Mr. Lennon replied, wiggling his eyebrows. “What else you got?”

I rolled my eyes while the two people that were supposed to be adults joked around. It annoyed me that Mom was so charmed by Dylan’s father, but I shook it off. It was good to see her smile. The past months, I had made her angry a lot, with all my questions about Dad and my insistence on finding him. At least Mr. Lennon made for a nice distraction from the stuff Mom and I still needed to work out.

“Mom?” I asked timidly when we were doing the dishes with some help from Simon. “Do you still have all of Dad’s old stuff?”

“You need to stop looking for him, Demona,” she snapped, gripping the glass she was cleaning so tightly I was afraid it would shatter. “He’s bad news.”

“Actually…” I took a deep breath and looked at Simon for support. “I already went to see him.”

With a loud bang, the glass landed on the floor, shards flying everywhere. I never seemed to be able to come here without any of the table wear ending up in pieces.