13. Tryouts

"Alright, you lot, listen up! We're going to be doing a scrimmage!"

Oh, crap.

"I want to evaluate you on the field instead of just doing endless drills!" Rize bellows to the crowd of hopeful Gryffindors. "This way, I can see how well you work with your teammates, how well you use your teammates' abilities and just how well you can battle it out on the field!"

He clears his throat and takes out a piece of paper from his pocket.

"Alright, so based on what position you wrote on your forms, I randomly split you into two teams. I ain't gonna say it twice, so listen carefully! TEAM ONE! James Potter! Douglas Hollands! Madeline..."

So, he did start off with a scrimmage.

Man, I'm so rusty from lack of practice, what am I going to do? Ever since Sonata got that boyfriend of hers in Fu Shu, she's been completely neglecting to practice Quidditch with me over breaks. Then again, she kind of sucked at it, so I guess that was why she never wanted to...

Wait, back to the problem at hand. 

To be completely honest, I probably won't be able to beat Sirius in this state, so I hope I'm on the same team as him. Then at least we wouldn't have to compete, I guess?

"And Cecilia Vance! Now, TEAM TWO!"

What, I didn't even hear who's on my team! Cecilia, this is what you get for zoning out! I know at least James is on Team One with me, but what about Sirius? I was so immersed in my own thoughts that I completely shut out all other sounds! Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid...

"...Jefferson! Sirius Black! And, er, me! Rize Hertz! Now, go get your jerseys on and get onto the field! Team One is red and Team Two is gold!"

Oh shoot, I am going against him! Well, at least I have James on my team. And at least it's a scrimmage, so it's not official or anything... But that doesn't make me want to win any less!

I toss my red jersey loosely over my head and swing my leg over my Silver Arrow broom before flying over to the middle of the field. Ahh, my faithful Silver Arrow. A bit beat up from all the reckless flying I did as a kid, but still one brilliant broomstick.

The rest of the scrimmage introductions happen as a blur in my mind as I try to remember all the little techniques I made up back when I was homeschooled. As I hover absently over the field, Rize explains the rules, kicks open the trunk with all the Quidditch balls and then everyone flies off to start the match. Wait, start the match?

"VANCE, GET A MOVE ON!"

Oh, right! The match started!

I zoom off towards the opponent hoops that Rize is guarding as Keeper.  Feeling rusty as ever, I have to strain my eyes just following the fast-moving Quaffle.  C'mon, Cecilia, get back into it!

I grit my teeth and swoop in to catch a backward pass from Willie, one of my teammates for the scrimmage. The moment my hands come into contact with the familiar rough leather, I feel a grin spread across my face.

Now, it's my chance to show off what I can do!

Weaving in and out of the opponent Chasers, I get within fifty meters of the hoops and I raise my arm to hurl the Quaffle and—

"Whoa!"

I drop the Quaffle abruptly as I swerve my broom to avoid an incoming Bludger. Who was that? I turn my head towards the general direction the Bludger came from and see Sirius waving his Beater bat pleasantly at me.

"YOU ALMOST MADE ME FALL OFF MY BROOM, SIRIUS!" I bellow at him across the width of the field. "This isn't a bloody war!"

Sirius just shrugs, an unabashed grin on his face. "Hey, one for all, all for one. It is a scrimmage for positions after all."