18. Indications

Sitting on my arse and looking pretty. That's what I'm here for.

According to Sirius at least. Well, his actions more like. Bottom line? He didn't dance with me for the rest of the night, or even pay me the slightest attention! All I did was sit there at the table, watching as he entertained a gaggle of Slytherin girls like I didn't even exist. And now here I am, doing exactly what I did the rest of the night. Sitting on my arse on my bed instead.

What a night.

Brushing the thoughts out of my head, I get up and walk to the full-length mirror, looking myself up and down.

"I mean, I don't look half-bad tonight," I say, scrutinizing my appearance before letting out a long sigh. "Blimey, why do I even care?"

I'm about to unzip the back of my dress when suddenly a rushing wind blows past my ear. I spin around in place to scan the room. Did I imagine it? Shoot, I knew that punch was spiked.

But before I can even finish that thought, all the candles in my room go out.

"Alright, Sirius," I say loudly with my hands on my hips. "If you're trying to scare me, it's not going to work. You're not a very scary person—"

"It's been so long... You are so beautiful..." whispers a hushed voice from across the room.

"Ew, Sirius, are you kidding me?" I gag mentally and spin around to search the room again, squinting through the darkness. "There are better ways to try and freak me out than these gross ghostly pick-up lines!"

"The young master isn't here... It's only you and me... Come with me..."

"The who isn't here?"

Wait a minute. Now that I think about it... that doesn't sound like Sirius at all. The voice kind of sounds like an old... man? No way. A pedophile?

Oh, for the love of crap.

"Uhh, yeah, I'm going to have to decline your offer," I answer cautiously as I begin inching towards the door, "because, y'know, dying a horrible death really isn't my thing."

"Come... It'll just be you... and me... alone together forever..."

"Alright, now I'm definitely freaked out," I mutter frantically as another gust of wind blows past my neck, giving me shivers all up and down my spine. It's at this point that I realize the breeze isn't wind at all... but instead very heavy breathing.

I let out a strangled yell and scramble for the door in the dark.

"Y-y-you better keep away from me, you creep!" I warn the ghost as I fumble with the doorknob, my hand slipping off once or twice before I'm actually able to turn it. Why are my palms so bloody sweaty?!

"Don't run away, girlie... Come back..."

After several attempts, the door finally flings open, but in my hurry to clamber out the door, I trip over the skirt of my dress and, with a loud yelp, tumble into the hallway. I quickly flip myself over on the floor and push myself to my feet. But before I can take another step, a gleaming pale blue light approaches from behind me.

"Come baaaack..."

I slowly turn around to face the owner of the unearthly voice in the doorway. A pair of feet float mere centimeters off the ground and as my eyes scan upwards, I finally see it. Its face... its face is...

"AHHH!" I let out an ear-splitting yell and back up so far that I tumble through the door behind me. I feel my back hit the floor and suddenly a soft, golden light fills the hallway, blinding me temporarily.