41. By Your Side

Cecilia

"Bloody hell, I need to go back."

I push myself away from the chair and move towards the Portrait Hole, but a hand grips my arm. I look over my shoulder to see Remus and the rest of the gang behind him.

"Cecilia," Remus starts firmly, "you need to tell us what's going on."

"Yeah, it's one thing when Sirius is yelling at us to do this and that because you're in danger, but now that you're back, you two have some explainin' to do," calls James from his place next to Lily. "Whatever's going on, Sirius can survive for a minute or two. Tell us what's going on."

Lily takes a step closer to me, worry lining her face. "Cecilia, we can help."

My eyes pass over each of them, seeing the genuine looks of concern in their expressions. And suddenly, I know exactly how Sirius was feeling when he was hiding everything from me. He was right. This whole mess he's in – it's the most bloody dangerous situation I've been involved in in my life.

And this lot.

I care about them... so much. I can't even be angry at Sirius for keeping it all from me because right now at this very moment, every part of me just wants to do the same. Even if this whole Dark Lord situation is going to blow up into a war, is it wrong to want to protect the ones you love just a while longer?

But maybe protecting them is selfish rather than selfless.

I need to trust them.

I swallow and relax the tension in my body to grip Remus' hand back.

"It's... a long story," I begin in a steady voice, "and I don't have time right now to explain everything, nor do I think I even know all the details. You guys know about the rebellion, don't you? The one in the Daily Prophet."

James' expression hardens and Lily says slowly, "Yes... the Death Eaters, right?"

"The Dark Lord?" a voice squeaks from behind James' back.

I glance over to see Peter cowering behind his friend. But... the expression on his face. My brows furrow. I can't read it. If I didn't know how frightened Peter gets over even just spiders, I would think he looked almost fanatical when he said the Dark Lord's name. But, no, that doesn't make any sense.

I quickly shake my head, knowing that all this pondering is just wasting more valuable time.

"The Death Eaters have been trying to recruit Sirius for the past few months," I continue hastily. "Sirius hadn't been responding so Lucius decided to kidnap him temporarily to speak to him. It's twisted, I know, but who's to say any of us know what these madmen are thinking."

"So, Sirius is surrounded by Death Eaters right now?" asks James. It came out more a statement than a question.

I nod grimly. "Well, just two," I correct myself. "But I have no idea what's going on back there. There could be twenty by the time I go back."

"Go back?" Lily repeats, aghast. "You can't go back there alone! You'll get yourself killed!"

"Sirius risked his life so you could be back in Hogwarts," adds Remus, his hand gripping mine even tighter now. "We can't let you go back there. James and I will go."

I shake my head fiercely. "Sons of well-known blood traitors? They'll kill you two before you even get a word out. I come from a family of Slytherins. The mere fact that my relatives are potential followers gives me some amount of protection."

"But—" Remus starts.

I give his hand another squeeze before pulling away. "Lily, do you have Sirius' and my wands?" I call to her. "Lucius disarmed us in the forest."