14. Off for the Holidays

"Geez, where is it? It has to be in here somewhere!" 

I dig through my pile of junk in my trunk, carelessly throwing everything onto my bed... and onto Lily as well. Not that I noticed at the moment.

Lily pops another one of her Every-Flavored Beans into her mouth, grimacing at the taste before brushing one of my socks off her face.

"Ewgh, tripe. I haven't had that one since first year." She pauses for a moment before sighing loudly at my lack of reaction to her words. "Cecilia, are you even listening to me? Or are you just going to rummage through that trunk all afterno—whoa!" She barely dodges large box of chocolates I toss over my shoulder, now made lethal at the frightening speed I threw it at in my hurry to empty out my trunk.

"Sorry!" I call over my shoulder before hurling something else hard behind me. Whatever it is, I'm sure Lily is perfectly capable of dodging it. And if she isn't... well, I guess I'm perfectly capable of carrying her to the Hospital Wing?

I hear a clang behind me as the object collides with the bedpost and then another sigh from my dear best friend. "Cecilia, what exactly are you looking for?" she asks incredulously. "You're making an absolute mess!"

"I know, I know! Sorry, Lily!" I say apologetically, now deciding to throw my stuff to the side instead. "I'm trying to find an old birthday present."

Well, specifically my wishing scarf. If it even exists, that is. I have a feeling I must've thrown it in here while I was packing way back in August. Ye-up, I'm that absentminded sometimes.

"Oh, alright then." Lily places her box of jellybeans down on her nightstand and scoots to the edge of my bed on her stomach. "Then while you're searching oh so intently, answer this." She dodges my Astronomy book by mere millimeters (Oops, so much for throwing my stuff to the side...) and continues, "What do you want for Christmas?"

I pause in my digging for a moment to look up at her. "Aren't Christmas presents supposed to be surprises? Hence the whole wrapped up gifts thing?"

I turn back to my trunk and whaddya know? The bloody scarf is right there in front of me like it Apparated there or something. I wrap it around my neck excitedly.

"Yes, I found it!"

Lily pouts at my apathetic reply. "Well, it's your first year at Hogwarts. I mean, I do know you pretty well after living with you for four months, but it's easier this way!"

"Nobody else seems to have that problem, Lil, seeing as the large majority of Christmas presents remain surprises," I point out.

But then again, she's Lily. I shrug and shut my trunk, not bothering to throw my belongings back in. I'll magic them in later, no problem.

"Well, it's doesn't matter anyway," I finish absently. "I won't even be here over the holidays."

I glance over my shoulder just in time to see Lily's jaw drop an alarming length. "WHAT?" she exclaims aghast. "Your first year here and you're not even staying for Christmas holiday with us?"

"Yeah, sorry, Lil." I turn around on my rear to face her completely and reply, "I got an owl from my mum yesterday telling me to come home this afternoon. Beats me as to why."

"What a coincidence! I'm headed home for break as well!"

"The hell?"

Lily and I spin around only to find none other than Sirius and James standing right in the dormitory doorway.

James prances up to our beds, grinning broadly. "Which is brilliant because now you and Sirius can ride the train home together!"

And that's called brilliant? Maybe in some alternate universe, James.