34. Invasion

My sister. Has invaded. My life.

So, here I am in Thursday Charms with the rest of the gang at our usual table at the very back of the room. Only, here, I thought the N.E.W.T.-level class would give me at least a bit of time away from my jolly ol' twin. I mean, over the half the sixth year Gryffindor class didn't make it, including Peter! And Sonata doesn't even like Charms!

But alas... there she is. Sitting at the opposite end of the long table from me and casting poofs of flowers out from the end of her wand. And for some godforsaken reason, the entire gang is completely enraptured by her.

Okay, no, I know why.

Sonata is exactly the more sociable, outgoing, happy-go-lucky version of me. She spends 70% of her time laughing and smiling and the other 30% doing adorable things to make everyone else laugh and smile. Put her and me side by side and it's obvious who people are going to gravitate towards.

I just sit there silently for a moment, my head propped on my arm, watching as Sonata twirls her wand in between her fingers before dropping it clumsily. Lily and James burst into laughter as the wand flies off, still sprouting flower petals from its tip. Sonata giggles as Remus reaches under the table to pick up her wand and return it to her. She leans in to whisper something in his ear and he laughs.

Blimey, you too, Remus? This is betrayal. BETRAYAL, I TELL YOU.

I blow air into my cheeks, puffing them out in an obvious pout.

"That's cute."

And before I can even wonder who said that, a finger reaches out and pokes my cheek, the air rushing out of my lips in an embarrassingly loud raspberry. I turn around just in time to see the owner of that finger snort in laughter.

"Sirius!" I blurt out in genuine surprise. "What are you—"

"Doing here?" He raises his eyebrows. "I've been sitting next to you all class period. Now who's completely oblivious?"

Wait. Did I seriously not even notice him for the past thirty minutes...

"Then again, if I was staring that intently down the table for half the period, I wouldn't have noticed me either," he remarks, clearly amused.

I wince despite myself and then look at him skeptically. "Oh yeah? Then why aren't you experiencing the fascinating entertainment that is Cecilia 2.0 with the rest of them?"

Sirius' grin fades at my words. "I'd really rather be with you."

I stare at him blankly.

"Sonata's not interested in entertaining me anyway," he adds rather belatedly.

Oh, that's what he meant. His words make me scoff and shake my head. "Not interested huh... Just you wait," I mutter under my breath as I return to making my miniature scarecrow tap-dance across the desk, which was the actual spellwork we were supposed to be working on all period.

Do you like Sirius Black?

In the end, I never got to give Sonata the answer to that question from a few nights back. James had burst into the girls' dormitory and dragged the both of us out into the Common Room to apparently play "spot the difference" and we didn't get a moment alone together the rest of the night. Er, actually, we haven't had a moment alone together since then, like, at all.

This may be an epicly lame way of avoiding the problem at hand, but I've kind of been pretending I don't speak English and running away every time she's brought the subject up.

...Well, I never said it was a good way of avoiding the problem!

But really it's mainly because I'm still not exactly sure how I want to handle this situation. I mean, how the hell was I supposed to know my twin sister has the most massive crush on the guy I'm engaged to!