30. On My Mind

The team bellows a victorious roar and bursts out of the locker room doors and into the wide open stadium.

I run after them, falling behind slightly as I curse my luck.

If only I didn’t get bloody hospitalized randomly and have to spend the past few weeks catching up on schoolwork and make-up exams, then I could’ve come to practice and actually known all these formations! Alright, calm down, Cecilia. You got this. Like Rize said, just fly like you usually do and you’ll be fine.

“The Quaffle is thrown…” Ed’s familiar voice echoes through the stands, “and they’re off! Well, most of them at least.”

“Vance, get a move on!”

“R-right!” I swing my leg onto my Silver Arrow and hastily kick off.

C’mon, Cecilia, play!

“Oh! She might’ve been off to a late start, but Vance takes no hesitation getting right back into the game!” Ed declares into the mic rather professionally. Almost too professionally. “This appears to be a good start for Gryffindor… I LOVE YOU, CECILI—no, no, I’m sorry, Professor, please give it back! I won’t do it again!”

That’s the Ed I know.

“Alright, back to the game. The Ravenclaws are taking quick advantage of the Gryffindors’ delay in getting into formation. Impressive offensive play and a smooth pass from Smith to Dent… oh, here come the Gryffindor Chasers! Vance steals the Quaffle from Dent and passes to Williams, then back to Vance, then Williams, Vance, Williams, Vance… and she scores! Ten points for Gryffindor—no, wait, Vance is circling the hoops! The Keeper can barely even catch up… and oh! Twice in a row! The score’s twenty-zero, folks! A brilliant start for Gryffindor!”

I pump my fist into the air in response to the explosion of cheers and return James’ high-give as he flies past me. Yeah, that’s the way to do it! Amnesia’s got nothing on—

“Vance, watch out!”

I dive blindly at the near belated warning and look up to find that I just barely avoided a Bludger in the face. Blimey, thank god someone was paying attention. Except… I shoot a glare at Sirius, who actually had the nerve to stare off into space while I almost got my face bashed in.

“Oi, Sirius, will you do your bloody job?!” I yell across the field at him.

“Yeah, pay attention, Black,” a Ravenclaw jeers as he flies by.

Wow, okay, enemy player, didn’t really need your input there.

Wait a minute, who was that? Blazing red spiked hair and a derisive sneer on his face? Oh right, he was the Ravenclaw Beater who I had deduced blatantly loathed Sirius. It wasn’t hard to figure out. He spent the past few games last term throwing insults and Bludgers left and right at the playboy. This game was clearly no exception.

But somehow, his words are what finally knocks Sirius out of his daze.

“Eat dung, Dayton!” Sirius yells back at the Ravenclaw Beater. “I don’t have time to deal with your crap today, alright? I have better things to worry about!”

“Later would be a better time to think about it, Sirius!” Rize bellows from the goal posts angrily, a caught Quaffle in his hands. “Get back in the game, you two!”

Rize rosses the Quaffle to me and I fly off, sighing.

Why am I getting yelled at for Sirius zoning out? Better score a few goals to get ahead before Rize bites my head o—