16. Burgundy

The moment the words leave my mouth, I frown to myself. Grimmauld Place? Why'd that pop into my head? Is that even where Sirius lives?

Whoops, too late.

I spin past dozens of fireplaces and fall out at my destination in front of, er, two pairs of feet. I look up to meet the eyes of two very stern-looking people staring down at me. I guess... wrong house? 

I spring to my feet and brush the dust off my jeans.

"Sorry, mister and missus—er, yeah, sorry, I'll be leaving," I mumble as I turn to walk right back into the flames.

But the moment I take a step, Sirius pops out and nearly runs me over.

"Hey, Mum. Hi, Dad," he says with a wave, completely unfazed that I just face-planted into his chest. Instead, he just grabs me around the waist and turns me around to face his parents.

Wait, you're kidding right? These scary adults are his parents? And my happy-go-lucky Mum and Dad are actually friends with these guys?

I automatically straighten up and plaster a nervous smile on my face. "Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Black," I say, nearly stumbling through the words despite myself. "I'm glad to see you are doing well."

His mum gives me a warm smile, contrary to her sharp eyes. "Hello, Cecilia dear. It's so good to see you again." She then turns back to Sirius. "You're late," scolds Mrs. Black in a stern voice.

Sirius just shrugs. "Cecilia's mum wanted to chat with me before I left. Ran a little over time," he explains unblushingly. "But we got here before it started anyway, didn't we?"

Sirius' mum straightens up disapprovingly. "It might be more than enough time for you, but dear Cecilia is a lady. You should understand that."

What does that have to do with anything?

Sirius just grins again. "Oh, I'm sure Cecilia will have no problems whatsoever. Right?" he adds before giving my side a little squeeze and pulling me even closer.

Finally unable to take it anymore, I elbow Sirius in the ribs as inconspicuously as possible two meters away form his parents. "What are you doing? Let go of me!" I mutter furiously under my breath.

"My parents are under the impression that we've been dating for the whole of the first term," he replies out of the corner of his mouth, his wide smile still unmoving.

I look at him aghast, or at least I did in my mind. "You git! You know better than anyone that we obviously haven't!"

"Well, what was I supposed to say to them?" Sirius whispers back a little louder than he probably should've. I glance up at his parents warily and see that they are thankfully having their own little private conversation.

Now, I glare at him point blank. "You could've told them the truth, or that we were waiting until we were of age to date or something!"

"Well, it's a little late now isn't it, smart one—"

"What are you two quarreling about over there?" Sirius' father asks suspiciously. "Is there a problem?"

"No, no problem at all!" Sirius turns back to his dad with a laugh of a certain fakeness only I seemed to detect. He pulls me even closer, if that were possible. "Just play along, it's only an act!" he hisses to me.

I mentally roll my eyes. "Yeah, just a happy couple talking happily about happy things and happiness," I say with a unnaturally huge smile.

Sirius steps on my foot, but I ignore it. It's his own fault he lied to his parents, the idiot.