39. In the Thick of Things

A/N: SURPRISE. Turns out I write a lot faster than I thought. Even though I generally like to write more chapters ahead before posting, because of the frankly huge wave of discontent after the previous chapter, I decided what the hell I'll just post it. Enjoy.

Cecilia

I stumble out of the Portkey stream into a dark nondescript room. Flailing from the momentum, I throw my hands out to prevent my head from hitting the floor and flip myself over on the ground to see Lucius Malfoy toss the tin can over his shoulder and pull out his wand.

Incarcerous!”

Black ropes shoot out of the tip of his wand and before I can even attempt to scramble away, the ropes snake around my torso and bind my arms tight against my sides. Breathing heavily, I struggle to bring myself to my knees and then to my feet, watching Lucius with wary eyes.

So… here I am.

Standing here in this cold, dark room, completely disarmed and wandless. No idea where I am and no idea why I’m here. And, to top it all off, with a wicked Slytherin mad man, who (from the way he incapacitated me, James, and Sirius within seconds) is clearly more dangerous than I gave him credit for. Granted, he did catch us all off guard, but still.

I get the feeling that if he gets even so much as whiff of the fact that I’m not even Sirius Black, he’s going to do a lot worse than Stun me.

I clear my throat and try to channel every bit of Sirius I can even muster.

“What, Lucius?” I demand in what I hope is a intimidating voice. “What did you want to talk to me about? Why even bring me here?”

Lucius smirks and with a flick of his wand, a wooden chair speeds towards us across the floor and knocks against the back of my knees. I fall back on the chair from the impact.

“Have a seat, Black.”

I shake Sirius’ hair out of my eyes and glare up at Lucius. “Thanks,” I retort. “Now answer my question.”

“You don’t know why I brought you here?” Lucius raises an eyebrow. “Haven’t been reading my letters at all, Black? I’m hurt.”

“I…” I start, but immediately snap my mouth shut.

I literally have to suppress the sudden feeling of panic before it can flash across my face. He’s right. I have no idea what happened between Sirius and Lucius. Nothing of his letters, the dilemma with Regulus, or what on earth happened this past summer! But… no, I still got this. Just because I’m not Sirius doesn’t mean I’m completely clueless. C’mon, Cecilia, you know enough to at least bloody fake it!

“Fine,” I decidedly answer. “Then why bring me here? Why make a show of jinxing James and Si—Cecilia? We could have talked just fine in the Forbidden Forest.”

At this, Lucius lets out another humorless laugh. “Where’s the fun in that, Black?” He twirls his wand between his pale fingers. “I can’t say it didn’t positively delight me to jinx Potter and your little girlfriend, but regardless I thought you’d understand. We couldn’t very well speak openly of the Death Eaters so close to Hogwarts Grounds now could we? Dumbledore has ears everywhere.”

My brows furrow at his words.

Death Eaters? The renegade Dark wizards trying to cause havoc against the Ministry? I mean, forget the clear implication that Lucius is even a part of these insurgents, what has Sirius done to get involved with their gang?

“What…” I start slowly, “makes you think I want anything to do with the Death Eaters?”

Lucius eyes me suspiciously. “Playing hard to get are you? Even with Regulus’ insistence to the Dark Lord that you join us, you still have the nerve to play coy?”