Chapter Fourteen: Playing hookey

I woke early the next day, so I got out of bed to get ready to go to school. I guess my brother heard me crashing around in my room because he came in to check on me.

"Where are you going?" He asked, brow furrowed in amusement.

"I'm going to school, what does it look like?" I retorted.

"It looks like you're flailing about everywhere." He chuckled.

"I still need to get ready. You going to help me?" 

"No, I already called your school and told them you're taking the day off because you hurt your ankle."

"Why did you do that?" 

"Because you're clearly not in any shape to walk let alone go to highschool. Just take the day off. You need it." He sighed, helping me back into bed.

"I'm sure Taylor must have told you already, but they're coming for lunch today to see you." 

"Yeah, we've been texting. She wanted to come yesterday but apparently someone told her not to." I gave him a sharp look. 

"You needed your rest!" He cried.

"You have got to stop mothering me, Jake." 

"Someone has to." He muttered.

"I'm not a child you know." I huffed.

"You'll always be my baby sister." He grinned at me.

"Gross." I stuck my tongue at him. 

"Right I'm gonna leave you to whatever it is you do when you bunk school. I've got a tonne of work to do." He said, before closing the door behind him. Sighing I leaned back against my headboard and switched the tv on. Instead of channel surfing, I logged onto my Netflix account and chose a film at random to watch. I started to doze off when I heard a knock at my door. 

"Come in!" I called. 

"Cooper? What's up?" I asked.

"I should be asking you that." 

"I'm fine like I've been telling everyone." I rolled my eyes. "What are you doing here?"

"Thought I'd play hookey with you," he smirked. "So what are we watching?" 

"Uh, some terrible romance movie. I just put it on but we can definitely change it. What do you suggest we watching?" 

"I know the perfect sick day movie marathon."

"Are you going to tell me or am I going to have to guess?" I nudged him.

"The Night at the Museum trilogy." He grinned at me. 

"You're kidding right?" I looked at him unsure.

"It's the perfect combination of comedy and action." 

"Okay, whatever you say. Let's get to it then." 

"Sure thing ma'am." He grinned at me. 

"Just start the movie. Don't call me ma'am ever again." I rolled my eyes. He hopped on the bed and sat down beside me, leaning against the headrest. Halfway through the first movie, I must have ended up falling asleep because by the time the second movie ended I was waking up with no knowledge of what had happened. 

"Hey, there sleepy head. You missed the movies." Drew smiled at me. I had rested my head on his shoulder. His comfy shoulder, might I add. 

"I guess I was tired." I smiled wearily. 

"It's a good thing you didn't go to school today, or you might have fallen asleep in class. By the way, I brought you my old crutches if you need."