Chapter Twelve: Chicken Soup

Drew's POV

After I left Maddie's place, I decided to drive around to clear my head. I couldn't understand why she would call me after how I treated her at the restaurant. Either way, I didn't waste any time getting to her place. She sounded like she needed someone, and she happened to have called me. I wasn't going to question it too much. My heart panged when she started crying into my chest as I held her. She always seemed strong and powerful, I didn't think that there would much that made her cry. I wanted to ask her about it, but I didn't want to pressure her. 

When the drive didn't clear my head as much as I wanted, I decided to go for a run on the beach instead. I parked near Maddie's place, changed into my sneaker and headed down to the beach. I plugged my headphones into the phone and took off along the shore. 

Unlucky for me, I didn't end up running far before I bumped into a familiar yet unwanted face. 

"Well, well who do we have here?" he sneered. I gritted my teeth to refrain myself from saying something I would regret.

"Are you stalking me, Weasel?" I ground out, fists clenched by my sides. Just looking at his face had me wanting to punch his lights out.

"A good boss knows where his employees are at all times. I just wanted to remind you that the boss is in town so there will be a meeting at the usual place. Starts at seven. Don't be late." He smiled evilly, as he played with his favourite shiny knife.

"You couldn't have texted me that information?" I spat.

"It's seems like our communication has been compromised so till we find the rat, we're resorting to this. Last thing, Fox is waiting for his package. Deliver it by the end of the week or there will be trouble." He shoved my shoulder as he walked past me.

"I'm not doing this anymore," I said angrily.

"Do you want me to remind you what is at stake here? Wouldn't want your precious father getting hurt now do we?" He looked back at me, an evil glint in his eye. "Let me tell you, I'm ready for the day I get the order to off you."

I let out a breath of frustration when Weasel finally left me alone. That man didn't scare me but he didn't make empty threats, so I knew I couldn't prolong the inevitable any longer. I was so absorbed in my music that I almost didn't notice that large waves that were rolling on the sea. I had to take a moment to admire the magnificent walls of water crashing down when I noticed something that made my heart drop. 

"No!" I cried as I saw two distinct pieces of an orange surfboard floating in the rough waters. There was no doubt it was Maddie's but I didn't want to believe she'd be stupid enough to surf these waves. I've come out here on occasion to watch her and Josh surf, so I've gotten to know a little of surfing just from observing.

I could hear her faint cries for help, each time softer than the previous one. There was no lifeguard this early in the morning since the beach was considered closed, and the lifeguard hut was too far for me to get help. Dropping my shirt in the sand beside my sneakers, I dived into the choppy waters. When it came to Maddie all rational thoughts left my mind as I put my own life in danger to try and save hers. I tried swimming towards her general direction, but the strength of the water was greater than I could fight against. Instead, I made a judgement call and allowed the water to carry me out to sea. I navigated myself through the calmer areas until I saw her being pulled under the wave. Grabbing the half of the surfboard that was closest to me, I conserved energy by floating along with the current.

"MADDIE!! WHERE ARE YOU!!" I shouted but received no reply. She briefly came up for air, allowing me to pinpoint her location more accurately before she was pulled under again. 

I pumped my arms and legs, propelling myself forward towards her. I dived and saw her slowly sinking having lost consciousness. I kicked hard a few more times till I was close enough to grab her arm. I saw my chance to escape what would be a never-ending rolling of water so I took it. Kicking as hard as I could, I broke the surface, using one arm to pull us to calmer waters. I pushed her onto the surfboard so she had access to fresh air while swam to the shore. The smaller waves pushed us onto the sand before pulling the orange surfboard back into the ocean.

I picked her up, carrying her to higher ground before laying her on the soft sand. She looked pale, while her lips began to turn blue. When she didn't respond, I started chest compressions and mouth to mouth resuscitation. "Come on Maddie!" I cried. The pulse at her wrist was weak, but I felt some relief that she still had some blood flow. I continued CPR, but she still wasn't responding.

"Maddie, you can't leave me. Not yet. I still have so much I want to tell you." Tears welled in my eyes but I brushed them away furiously to continued to compress her chest. Sighing, I fell back into a kneeling position beside her. Suddenly, she coughed up water and her eyes fluttered open. She reached out to my face. 

"Drew?" She croaked out.

"You're okay," I whispered, cradling her in my arms. I silently thanked God that I had taken that EMT job during the summer. 

"I know." She smiled stupidly, her eyes closing from exhaustion. Picking her up I carried her to my car. Covering her with my hoodie, I drove her back to my house. After I had changed her out of the wet clothes and tucked her into my bed, I took a warm shower and changed into fresh clothes. The colour was returning to her face as she slept, which brought me some comfort when I reluctantly left her side to make some soup.

I sat on the edge of the bed, watching her pale, but peaceful face. Brushing some hair out of her face, I kissed her forehead. Her eyes fluttered open. "Hey, how you feeling?" I asked gently, clasping her cold hands.

"I'm fine, I think. I just feel really cold." She whispered, snuggling deeper in the covers. I chuckled softly.

"Here, why don't you drink some soup?" I helped prop herself up against the headboard to cradle the bowl of steaming chicken soup. Her hands were shaking as she lifted the soup to her mouth, so I covered her hand with my own and fed her. I watched as she slowly began to look healthier, the soup warming her from the inside.

"Mmm chicken soup. My favourite." She murmured. By the time she was finished my own bowl of soup was cold so I just poured it down the sink. When I came back Maddie was drifting off to sleep again. I grasped her warm hand, squeezing it gently before kissing it.

"Drew?" She muttered.

"Yes?"

"I'm cold, can you cuddle me?" she whimpered, eyes still closed. I chuckled, feeling very lucky that fate was repeating itself again. Slipping under the sheets beside her, I wrapped my arms around her as her back touched my torso. Her hair still smelt of apples despite the large amounts of salt that had dried in it. I smiled as I felt my eyes close.

"I love you Drew." She murmured.

********************************************

edit: 10/02/2020