Chapter Twenty-Five: Coffee With A Stranger

"Oh shit!" I exclaimed as I realised that I was already late for my next lesson. But then I realised there was no teacher for this lesson, so technically I had a free. I wasn't going to bother finding Taylor; she was probably with Ethan.

Since I needed to get ahead with my project I made my way to the art room, they kept specially for seniors. I had already collected my art portfolio from my locker, so I placed it on the work table.

Opening my notebook I found the latest idea scribbled across the page. The paper was to be painted pitch black. Then half of the moon was to be drawn with pastels in the middle if the page. I had envisioned this idea for a long time and excitement was bubbling through me at the aspect of finally creating it.

Firstly I painted the canvas a matt black colour. The canvas was left to dry so I started to jot down more ideas in my sketch book. After I was confident it was dry, out came my pastels and I began drawing on the moon. It took me the best part of half an hour because I was such a perfectionist.

With pencil first I lightly sketched out two people on surf boards facing the moon so all you could see was their backs. I took my fluorescent gel pens out and drew over them. The female was in a fluorescent pink bikini sitting on a neon green board. The guy was wearing bright yellow trunks and was sitting on an orange board. I couldn't help but remember the Midnight Surf where Drew and I spent most of our time talking.

I gasped as I looked down at my artwork. I hadn't noticed before, but I noticed it now. I had just recreated the scene where Drew and I held hands staring at the moon during the Midnight Surf. Except in my picture there was no one else there, just me and him. Quite simple.

The moon shined down on us. I have to say we looked enchanting sitting there watching the moon rise, hand in hand sharing a secret moment together.

Next I used glitter paint to add the light of the moon on the water. I let the piece dry before adding the finishing touches. I smiled at the work that was staring at me. To say I was proud was an understatement because this had to be the best piece of art work I had ever created.

I vaguely heard the bell ring, but I didn't move. I just sat there looking at the picture I had painted. Soon my classmates poured into the classroom. Since I had art I just took out a blank canvas.

"Quite please. Since you all now have a project idea I want to take every lessons this term to complete it and at the Winter Dance the two winners will be announced. So I suggest those of you who haven't started yet, to get a move on." she clapped her hands indicating people should get their things ready.

I wanted to take some time to think about the next art work I wanted to make. I wanted it to be different. Unique. Creative. Bold. Completely and utterly mine.

Again my pencil touched my sketchbook. I tried to imagine places, things, people to draw, paint or sketch.

After the hour working on the other piece my mind was void of ideas.

"So Maddi what have you done so far?" the teacher asked looking at my sketchbook.

"Well I finished two pieces." I took the other finished canvas from my folder and laid it beside the recent on that was still drying.

"Well done. I think you're ahead of the class so maybe you should slow down a bit since you only have a few more pieces to create." She kept her poker face on so not to reveal anything.

"Yeah I think I might do that. Can I go to the library so I can research other ideas." she nodded and I gathered my work and utensils to put in my bag.

I made my way, slowly, to the library. I walked into the girls bathroom first because I really needed to pee. Just as I flushed the toilet I heard someone walking into the toilets.