Chapter Seven: The Party

The first week felt like the longest week of my entire life. Adjusting back to school life after two months of freedom was more difficult than most of us initially thought, so when Friday rolled around everyone was eager to get the weekend started. 

"What time are you guys going to come round?" I asked the group as we stood by our cars in the parking lot. 

"I was thinking around 6 or 7?" Ethan said.

"Okay, that works. Taylor is coming over right now so just come whenever." I replied as I got into the driver seat. 

"So I've stocked the pantry and the fridge with snacks."

"Great, I've just texted Ethan to come with some beer. We can have a pre-party at your place. Are your parents still away?" Taylor asked, tapping away on her phone.

"Yup," I said quietly. In the last few years, my parents have become increasingly busier ever since Jake went to college. I've spent the majority of high school in a large, empty house. I'm happy to have had my independence, but it often got lonely. The moment we got home Taylor headed to my room and I made my way to the pantry. I grabbed a few snacks and drinks off the shelves and joined my best friend.

"Do you want sour patch kids or chips?" I asked her, throwing some of the snacks on the coffee table.

"Neither do you have M&Ms?"

"You know I do." I laughed. 

"You're the best." She grinned at me. "Right let's get this party started. Alexa, play Lizzo." 

The catchy tunes of Lizzo played through my music system and my best friend immediately started to dance. I smiled at her enthusiasm. 

"Come on, you have to join in." She took my hand and we started to dance and sing together.

"Okay, okay. I need a break." I panted, taking a large gulp of water and sinking into a large beanbag.

"We should definitely use this time to get ready then."

"T really? It's only 5." 

"Yeah and that's not a lot of time till the party."

"What do you mean? The party doesn't start till 10." I frowned. "I don't get why you always need hours to get ready."

"Looking good takes a lot of time Maddie." She scoffed.

"You do look good T. You always have."

"Easy for you to say Mads. You're beautiful. You always have been." She said from inside my closet.

"Where is all this coming from Tay? You're beautiful too, and not just on the outside but on the inside and that is more than I can say about other people." 

"Thanks, Mads. I know you've always got my back, and you know exactly what to say when. Enough about this sappy stuff, let's get ready. Wow, you got some new stuff."

"Ha yeah, courtesy of my mom's trip to Spain a few months ago. I just recently took the clothes out of the gift bags. There's still some left in the corner. You can have a look at what's there." 

"I love European cuts. They're so chic. I'm taking this okay." She came out with a white and white polka-dotted dress with puffed sleeves and a Peter Pan collar.

"Go for it. I don't know why you don't just take all my dresses and skirts. You know I don't wear them."

"I know that, but I like coming to your house and going through your clothes. It's fun." She giggled. Just then the doorbell rang. I ran down to see which one of my friends had arrived.