Chapter Two: Freshman Day

7 years later.

"Maddie, Maddie!" My best friend screamed in my ear. I felt her breath on my cheek as she leaned over me. 

"What do you want?" I buried my head into my pillow, wrapping it around my ears in a futile attempt to block her loud voice out.

"It's time for our first day as freshmen!" she replied cheerily. Taylor has always been a morning person, I, on the other hand, was not. After a long summer of late nights and even later mornings, I was not ready for school. 

"Go away, Taylor!" I threw my extra pillow in the general direction of her voice and pulled the covers over my head. 

"Not going to happen. It's the first day of high school, we can't be late." She began bouncing on my bed.

"You're so weird you know. Why are you happy that school is starting again?" I groaned.

"Because we get to meet our friends again." She replied in a matter of fact tone. 

"Yeah, but why do we need to do that at this God awful time of the day?"

"Stop complaining my little Debby Downer. I'm not ruining my perfect attendance just because you're lazy. Now get up." She said sternly.

"Then why don't you go without me? It's way too early to be up right now. I'm going back to sleep. Goodnight." I muttered.

"No way José. Maddison Quinn Davis, get up this instance or I will call your brother in as backup." My eyes shot open when she used my full name. 

"Fine. Get off me then." I sighed.

The lukewarm water splashing on to me, ridding me of any remnants of sleep. Twenty minutes later I was rushing down the stairs only to find my best friend sitting in the kitchen scoffing down a plate of pancakes beside my brother and father. 

"Good morning love." My mother said. 

"Morning all." I sighed, slipping into the last empty barstool. My brother slid a plate down to me. 

"Contain your excitement." He said sarcastically.

"Shut your face, Jake," I muttered.

"Alright, kids no fighting. You're going to be late if you don't get going." My father spoke, not glancing up from the iPad in his hands. 

"Your dad's right. We're going to be late Maddie. We should leave now."

"That's the third time you've told me that. It's already so early, do you want to get there before the janitors?" I told her sarcastically. "Plus I haven't finished my breakfast."

"Just get your butt moving." She rolled her eyes, as she made her way to the front door. 

"Jesus, woman. Keep your hair on, I'm coming!" I followed my best friend out the door towards Jake's car. 

"Hurry up Jake!" Taylor whined, as she grabbed my arm and pulled me up to the car.

"If you whine anymore, you'll be taking the bus to school." 

"Can you stop pulling me everywhere? I'm not a dog." I pulled my arm from her grasp. 

"You're too slow what do you expect me to do?"

"Oh, I don't know? Perhaps just let me follow you?" 

"Girls please, no fighting. I don't want to listen to you two complain about each other. Just kiss and make up. It's your first day at the big kids' table, enjoy the ride before I change my mind." My brother commented. Taylor slid into the front seat while I threw my bag in the back and followed it into the car.