Chapter Ten: Not A Date, Date

"Alright I'm hungry, let's go get some food," I announced, having spent the day on the beachfront. 

"I could do with some food. Know any good spots?" He smirked. 

"I know a few. Mind if I drive?" I raised an eyebrow. 

"God no!" He laughed.

"You don't trust me?" I asked, feigning shock.

"Honey, I don't trust anyone with my car." He chuckled.

"Fine, fine. Boys and their cars." I shook my head, as we got to the car. I told him the address of the restaurant. "You got any snacks in this car?" I reached to open the glove compartment when Daniel quickly slammed the door shut before I could take a peek. 

"Don't." He looked at me angrily.

"Sorry. Didn't know you were so touchy." I held my hands up in a defensive position. "Mind if you put some music on?"

"Yeah." He turned the dial on, and some pop music played through the speakers. We didn't speak much till we got to the restaurant. We took a seat by the window so we could see the sunset while we ate. "If I'd ask anyone this could be considered a date." He smirked.

"This is so not a date." 

"But it could be," He raised his eyebrows, looking at me pointedly.

"One step at a time cowboy." 

"Hi welcome to Brunos what drinks would you like to order?" The busty waitress asked, her eyes trained directly at Daniel.

"I'll get a Fanta." My companion smiled at her.

"I'll have a lemonade, thanks." I glared at her.

"Coming right up." She winked at Daniel. Instead of ignoring her like I thought he would, he just grinned at her. 

"This place is nice." He commented. 

"Yeah, it's one of the best pizza places in town. I love a good pizza, I've eaten all over the place but this is definitely one of my top choices." I replied. 

"Didn't take you for a pizza girl." 

"Everyone loves pizza. You can't really go wrong with it." I shrugged. 

"What's your name handsome?" The waitress asked when she returned with our drinks in her hand, leaning onto the table so that her cleavage on show. 

"Daniel." He smirked.

"Excuse me. Can you stop hitting on my boyfriend?" I snapped.

"He doesn't seem to mind. Do you?" She replied, smirking as she lay a hand on his bicep.

"Yeah well, I mind so please leave." I glared at her. 

"Is there a problem here?" A man approaching us asked. 

"No." Daniel said as I replied with "Yes."

"Would you like a different waiter?" He asked, glancing at his waitress.

"Yes, thanks," I replied curtly. He nodded politely.

"Why don't I take your order if you're ready?" He asked.

"Yeah, I'll have a pizza with sausage and mushroom," Daniel ordered.

"And for the lady?" He turned to me.

"I'll have pizza with pepperoni, thanks." I smiled sweetly at him. He scribbled our orders on his pad of paper before taking our menus.

"Boyfriend huh?" Daniel raised an eyebrow. 

"Yeah well, you came here with me not her. That was the first thing that came to my mind okay." I said grumpily. "Can we just forget it? Tell me about Michigan."

"Well you know Michigan. You lived there for a few years."

"That was a long time ago! Has it changed?" 

"I moved from Lansing to Ann Arbor a couple of years ago. My mom and dad split so I lived with my dad the last few years. He past away last year, so I moved back to Lansing. I wanted to move out of Michigan though so mom and I came to compromise where I'd finish high school here with Ben and then I'd go college on the East coast. We don't have much family left there so she agreed to let me stay with my cousins here in LA."

"Woah. Why didn't you mention this before?" I asked.

"Well we didn't really have the chance to sit down and talk did we?" He chuckled softly. 

"No, I guess we didn't." Our new waiter came with our food, setting it down in front of us.

"Thanks, we don't need anything else," Daniel told the waiter, who just stood there. I looked up to see a familiar set of blue eyes.

"Cooper? What are you doing here?" 

"I could say the same thing about you, Davis." Drew grinned at me. 

"I came here to eat. I didn't know you worked here." I replied with a smile. 

"My dad owns the place so I help out once in a while. He gives me minimum wage though, so no perks for the owner's son." 

"That's cool. Tell your dad, this is one of my favourite pizza joints around."

"He'll be happy to hear that." He turned to Daniel. "Hello, David." 

"My name is Daniel." 

"Oh, my mistake." Drew sneered.

"Drew what's your problem?" I looked at him annoyed.

"Nothing. What are you doing here with him?" 

"We're on a date," I said quickly without thinking.

"Wow, you move fast." He spat. "You've been together for what? Less than 24 hours and you're already dating." 

"Who I date and how I date is none of your business." I looked at him angrily. 

"You're right. Enjoy your meal." He said curtly before walking off.

"I'm going to give that boy a piece of my mind," I muttered.

"Don't worry about him, he's just a dick," Daniel said. Drew returned with our pizzas a few moments later.

"Enjoy your meal," he said sarcastically. 

"Thanks," I muttered.

"Let's just eat this pizza, enjoy the rest of the night and not think about him." 

"As if that idiot Cooper could ruin a perfectly good pizza for me." I laughed.

"So we're dating now, are we? I thought we weren't on a date." Daniel smirked.

"I just panicked okay. First, it was that waitress then Drew. They both pissed me off so I just blurted out the first thing that came to my mind. Sue me." 

"It wouldn't be such a bad thing if we dated you know. This, us. It feels right. It feels like old times." He waved his finger between us. 

"I'm not exactly looking to get into a relationship right now," I told him honestly.

"You weren't looking, but now you've found. People would die to have a relationship like ours right now." 

"I guess so."

"So what do you say? Be my girlfriend?" He grinned at me, as he held my hand.

"Sure." I smiled back at him. I looked over to Drew, who was at the counter watching us intently. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit: 09/02/2020