Chapter 19

"So I really like this one because of the lace, but I'm not crazy about the tulle on the skirt." Mom said. We were at a little corner cafe, having croissants and coffe while looking through wedding magazines. Well...she was looking through wedding magazines...I was still thinking about my crazy dream from the other night. "Dani? Are you even listening?"

"Hmm?" I hate it when my mom is talking and I just start dozing out, I know I hate it when she ignores me.

"Sweetie, I'm getting married...again...and I'm going to make it work this time. The least you can do is pretend to be interested." she said.

"I'm sorry mom. And you're right, the ladies in this family never did look good in tulle." I replied.

"Is something going on? You have that upset little girl look on your face, like that time you over fed your fish when you were eight." she said. Poor Chester, how is any eight year old supposed to know you shouldn't over feed a fish?

"Mom, can I ask you a personal question?" I asked her.

"Aw Dani, of course you can." she said, smiling in her motherly fashion.

"Alright listen; a couple nights ago I had a strange dream. I was at the apartment and cooking dinner when...a boy came in and...we started making out." I told her.

"Ooh, did this certain boy happen to be Lucas?" she asked, wiggling her eyebrows.

"Mom, I love you but I'd really appreciate it if you would not act like a teenager and more like a mom." I replied.

"You're right, you're right I'm sorry. I'm back into mother mode." she said, inhaling then exhaling. "Continue."

"Okay no, this boy was not Lucas. I did know him though...very well." I said.

"That's interesting. Was he a boy from back home?" she asked.

"I thought this was home?" I sassed. Mom scowled at me.

"I'm in mother mode Dani, let me be a mother." she said.

"Um...I just knew him. I didn't understand why him though. I mean...Lucas is my boyfriend, why would I dream about somebody else?" I asked.

"I don't know. I've only had sex with two men in my life and I've never dreamed about anybody else." she replied.

"Okay, we need to make another family rule. No one in this new family is allowed to talk about sex." I said.

"What do you think that dream meant?" she asked. It took a minute, but I had an idea.

"I have to go." I said as I stood up, pulling on my jacket in the process.

"You don't want your croissant?" she asked.

"No thanks mom, I got to go." I replied as I headed for the door, but then I stopped and I flipped to a page in her magazine, with a very pretty wedding dress. "This one is simple, classic, and timeless. Just like you. Pair it with a very nice pair of heels and veil, you'll like a princess." I told her, then running out of the cafe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luisa was where I'd expect her to be: getting her nails done at Ouí París Naíl Salōn. I'm not so sure why they have all those accents on the vowels since it would make the words sound very strange?

"Okay, I have a major problem and you are the best person to solve these problems since you have more experience than I do." I said. Both she and the manicurist looked up at me, both confused.

"Sweetie, do you know how difficult it was for me to get an appointment here?" Luisa asked me.

"It's about Zac." I told her.

"Oh...Give us a minute Rhonda? This is urgent." she told the lady. She nodded and left without another word. "Sit." she said to me. I took a seat on the stool that Rhonda was sitting in, admiring the manicure she did on Luisa's nails. "What can Doctor Perrison do for you?"

"I had the strangest dream the other night. It was me, cooking dinner at home-"

"Your home here? Or your home back in Stratford?" she asked.

"Here!" I exclaimed, trying not to roll my eyes.

"Right, continue." she said.

"Anyway, Zac came in and he told me that dinner smelled good." I told her.

"Why is that a problem? You can cook can't you? Because if you're eighteen and still can't cook than that is just sad." she said.

"Luisa!"

"Okay, I'm sorry! Keep going!" she said. Wow.

"Well...the next thing I know, he grabs me and then he kisses me! And the crazy part is that I enjoyed it!" I exclaimed.

"You made out with Zac?" she asked.

"In my dream! Yes, I did." I replied.

"What the problem then?" she asked. Seriously?

"Hmm, good question? Maybe because -- oh I don't know-I have a boyfriend!" I replied.

"Right...Lucas." she groaned.

"What? What is wrong with Lucas?" I asked. "He is perfect!"

"Exactly! He's too perfect! Don't you find that a bit odd?" she asked me.

"No! You know what? I don't. Why the hell would I dream about something like that though?" I asked her. Luisa sighed and shook her head.

"You've obviously only had one boyfriend before." she said.

"Yeah, I have. What's the problem?" I was getting annoyed with her ignorance.

"Sweetie, you're experiencing what I like to call 'Clash of the Titans'. You're brain is battling with your heart." she told me.

"What the hell does that mean?" I asked her.

"It means your brain knows one thing, but your heart wants something different. Do you understand?" she asked. I scoffed.

"You're trying to say that my heart wants Zac? My step-brother? Do you realize how fucked up that is?" I asked her. This was turning into a load of bull.

"It's not unheard of, you're trying to resist your desires." she replied.

"Desires? The only thing I'm currently desiring is a nap. I didn't have a whole lot of sleep the other night." I told her.

"No. Your heart wants to be with Zac! However, your brain is registering that it's wrong because he's your fucking step-brother. But you know what Lavek? The only vibe I've ever gotten off of you is you're a good girl. And frankly honey, good girls are a bore when it comes to guys. I mean you've only been to one high school party, and your boyfriend randomly beats up Zac? Don't you find that odd?" she asked.

"He was mad because Zac stopped him from kissing me." I said.

"Really? You seriously believe that bullshit?" she asked.

"What do you want me to do? I don't know what to do!" I said. Luisa placed her perfectly manicured hand on my shoulder.

"I think you should stop using your brain to make all your decisions and start following your heart. That's how most happy endings are found. Maybe it's time you found yours." she said. "Now you have to go because Rhonda still needs to finish and I got a hair appointment in twenty minutes." Wow.

Thanks, love you too bestie!