Chapter 16

Wednesday soon came along, and I had the best idea of all ideas. Lucas wants to go out with me, but how bad does he really want it?

-

"Hey, what's with the box?" Luisa asked. It was just before third period that I had pulled out a large white box and plate from my locker.

"We are about to see how desperate Lucas can be to score a date with yours truly." I winked.

"Ooh, Lulu's gettin' tingly! What's in the box?" she asked again. I opened the flimsy container to show the (delicious) contents inside. "Chocolate éclairs? I don't get it."

"Don't worry about it. I texted Lucas to meet me...and to wear his gym strip." I replied.

"Why his gym strip? I mean I know he has fantastic legs but why?" she asked.

"Well according to Martha Stewart: whip cream is extremely difficult to get out of a courdoroy blazer." I said. Luisa was about to ask another question, but was cut short when Lucas appeared, in his gym strip.

"So, Dani, it's Wednesday." he said.

"Yeah, I can see that." I replied.

"You made up your mind yet?" he asked.

"I certainly have. You're a great guy Lucas, but after that little showdown last weekend, I'm not so sure you're worth my time." I said.

"I totally am! I mean I totally will be! I'll do anything!"

"Anything? Is that so?" I looked at Luisa, who looked at me with a silly grin plastered on her face. "I want you to dance." I told him.

"Excuse me?" looks like I caught him off guard.

"Yes, go, start."

"We're in a hallway." he muttered.

"Come on, you're a cheerleader. You want me that bad? Prove it. Work those hips!" ain't it fun being mean?

Lucas was reluctant at first, but soon he started dancing. Mostly it was just rocking from side to side and jumping on either foot, along with balling his hands into fists and keeping in time with his feet. Some kids stopped to watch, a few started taking videos with their phones.

"Okay, I'm dancing. Is that good enough?" he asked me.

"Well...not bad. I'd give it a six. What do you think Lulu?" I asked Luisa.

"Hmm, maybe a five? I was hoping for a little more muscle action." she said. Lucas rolled his eyes, obviously not enjoying this.

"Well I'm dancing anyhow, you going to go out with me?" he asked.

"I'm not sure just yet? I think he needs something a little sweet, don't you think?" I asked Luisa.

"I agree. He needs chocolate éclairs." she said, taking the plate off the box.

"What!?" Lucas exclaimed. Luisa held out the plate while I placed three éclairs onto the surface, then handed it to Lucas.

"Chocolate éclairs are a french delicacy of the nineteenth century. Very delicious, very messy. You have to eat those while dancing." I told him.

"Fine." he reached for an éclair, but Luisa stopped him.

"No hands! You have to eat them with no hands!" she told him, then gently nudging my arm. She was enjoying this just as much as I was.

"Are you kidding?" he asked us.

"No!" we both replied, trying not to laugh. Lucas huffed, gripping the plate, then bent his head and started eating the éclairs. But holy guacamole, it was messy! White cream started getting all over his face, he had chocolate on his nose and lips. The crowd around us began to get bigger, people started laughing and pointing. If this guy's dancing and eating a messy french delicacy, he must want me that bad.

"This is good." I said.

"This is so good." Luisa added.

"He needs something though." I said to her.

"You're right. What should he do next?" she asked. Lucas by now looked like he was hoping for a massive earthquake to take place and swallow him whole. Luisa and I looked at each other and grinned like the cheshire cat.

"Yodelling!" we said together.

"Are you kidding?" Lucas asked through a mouth full of pastry.

"We are not kidding Mr. Vance." I said.

"You want this chica to go out with you? Start yodelling." Luisa piped in. He looked just about ready to drop everything and scream, but toughing it out like a big boy, he started yodelling, while eating éclairs, while dancing. This was the best day ever!

"YODO-LE--HE-HOO! YODO-LE-HE-HOO!"

It looked as if the entire student body had abandoned their current plans to swoop in and watch Lucas make a complete fool of himself. Zac was in the crowd, trying not to laugh while taking a video with his cell. I knew he would want to recollect this moment for eternity.

"YODO-LE--HE-HOO! YODO-LE-HE-HOO!"

Lucas looked down right exhausted by the end of it. His legs looked like they were about to give out, he had whip cream up his nose, and his voice was becoming hoarse from yodelling. I think he's had enough.

"Alright, alright, stop." I took the plate from him, handing it to Luisa. She eyed the éclairs with a delectable look in her eyes. Sure the pastries were good, but I wouldn't eat them after what Lucas did to them. They looked less like a sweet dessert and more like something somebody threw up. It's okay, I have more anyway.

"You want to throw footballs at me while I'm hanging from a pole by my underwear next?" he asked.

"No, you've had enough. You should take a shower and change your clothes...than make a reservation at a restaurant." I said. Lucas stopped, waiting for me to probably say I was joking.

"Seriously?" he asked.

"Yes, after that freak of nature, you deserve a chance." I replied.

"Oh my God, thank you so much." he was going in for a hug, but I stopped him as he was whip cream, chocolate icing, and crumbs all over him.

"Take a shower first." I repeated.

"Right, you won't regret this Dani! Yes!" he ran off into the other direction, towards the showers I'm certain. Luisa and I looked at each other before we burst out laughing.

"That was fantabulistic!" she said.

"I agree, now we know how to see if guys want us much as they say they do." I replied. The bell suddenly went off, and the crowd started to desperse.

"I got to get to algebra, I'll see you at lunch. Oh! Do you have any éclairs left?" she asked. I opened the box and handed her a fresh one.

"Bon appetite." I said. Luisa thanked me before scampering away to her next class. I know this was really gross after watching Lucas practically demolish them with his face, but I took one as well and started eating it, feeling very proud of myself.