Chapter 41

We were ready on the field, Sandy was standing right next me as we waited for Zac and Michael to start the music. A lot of people would think I had to be an idiot for trusting him again, but this was for a good cause.

"Screw up, and I promise, you'll be walking funny for the rest of the year." I hissed to hher.

"Relax Lavek, I haven't made a mistake in my life, I'm not gonna start now." she replied.

"You made plenty of mistakes with me." I told hher.

"It happened, now you're perfectly happy with the cuss-out, Trenway." she said.

"One more word, you're gonna get it." I told her.

"Right now is not the time to argue." she said.

"That solves your problem then, shut up." I replied. Just before she could get the last word in, a loud siren went off, courtesy of the two boys who tride to fix the speakers, than the music started.

"Tell me, baby, what we're gonna do
I'll make it easy, got a lot to lose
Watch the sunlight coming through
Open the window, let it shine on you"

There's one thing to remember when you're a cheerleader, be cute, be keen, be sexy and entertaining. I have no idea who came up with that, but we could definetely use that method.

"Cause I've been sick and working all week
And I've been doing just fine (Hey!)
You've been tired of watching me
Forgot to have a good time, boy (Hey!)
You can't take it all these faces
Never keeping it real
I know exactly how you feel

When you say you've had enough
And you might just give it up
Oh, oh
I will never let you down
When you're feeling low on love
I'll be what you dreaming of
Oh, oh
I will never let you down

(Hey!)
Oh, oh
I will never let you down
(Hey!)
Oh, oh
I will never let you down"

It was small at first, I only noticed as the coach started bobbing his head to the rhythym. Then the football players started tapping their feet. Some people started clapping, nodding their heads from side-to-side, and a couple wolf-whistles coming from the crowd.

"There's a million ways to go
Don't be embarrassed if you lose control
On the rooftop, now you know
Your body's frozen and you lost your soul

'Cause I've been sick and working all week
And I've been doing just fine (Hey!)
You've been tired of watching me
Forgot to have a good time, boy (Hey!)
You can't take it all these faces
Never keeping it real
I know exactly how you feel"

Soon, everybody got up on their feet and started dancing with us. Not exactly, but dancing in their own way. Some were jumping up and down, friends were doing their own routines to the song, others were clapping along. My mom had come down to the front row, waving a large foam finger in the air as she cheered my name. Howard was next to her, twisting his hips and I assumed trying to be Shakira.

"When you say you've had enough
And you might just give it up
Oh, oh
I will never let you down
When you're feeling low on love
I'll be what you dreaming of
Oh, oh
I will never let you down

(Hey!)
Oh, oh
I will never let you down
(Hey!)
Oh, oh
I will never let you down"

A spotlight shone down as the third verse started. Michael and Zac were in the box office and working the controls. Mike was jumping and pumping his fists in the air, Zac was leaning against the desk and was staring at me, nodding with an encouraging smile. This part made me nervous though, as I had to be a flyer. Remember how well that went?

"Let me take you where you never go
Have a little fun, it's the only way we know"

Lucas and Brad came up and lifted me into the air. I gulped, having a small flashback to when I had started at Havenhurst. Luisa crossed her fingers with both hands, other girls were giving me weak grins, but believe it or not...Sandy actually smiled at me.

"Let me show you what you never see
You know how to love only when you're holding me"

The boys tossed me into the air. I turned sideways, reached for my toes and arched my back. As gravity took over and pulled me back down, I did a diagonal 360, then landed safely in their arms. And this time, I didn't fracture, break, or bruise anything.

"OH!

When you say you've had enough
And you might just give it up
Oh, oh
I will never let you down
When you're feeling low on love
I'll be what you dreaming of
Oh, oh
I will never let you down

When you say you've had enough
And you might just give it up
Oh, oh
I will never let you down
When you're feeling alone in love
I'll be what you dreaming of
I will never let you down"

The entire field was on their feet and roaring with applause, the crowd, the players, opponents, side-lines, everybody loved our performance. We didn't get to baske in the glory for long, as Luisa grabbed my shoulder and ushered me off the field. It was time to win our game.

The football players returned to the field and assumed and their positions. The quarterback made the count, and then the game started again. It was like watching yaks mud wrestle. We all watched in anticipation as they wrestled for the final win. We were only down by one point. If we scored one more long net, we would win the game.

The team made perfect passes, and dodged many tackles. Everybody was on the edge of their seats, biting their nails, bouncing their knees, sweat bullets were coming off the coach, until that magic pass was made. The ball flew through the air, and caught by one of the weaker players. Then he sprinted all the way for the line, and slid into the goal area.

We had won the game.

We shot off the bench and went to congradulate the players. Some of the cheerleaders tripped and were trampled in the fuss, but I didn't get to reach for the team. Instead, I was pulled away and into a passionate kiss. We all know who would make a brave move like that.

This moment was perfect, it was all that I needed. But it didn't last long, as a rasped voice called my name. We broke away and looked towards the voice, then a lump started to form in my throat.

My mother and Howard, watched us kiss on the football field...