Chapter 32

February started rolling around, and it was finally decent enough that I didn't have to hide my heinous uniform under a thick down jacket. Actually, after a while, I didn't mind the uniform so much; I didn't have to rush around in the morning trying to find something to wear. Mom was excited as the wedding was coming closer and closer. She and Howard had picked out the church, the reception hall, the music, the guest list, along with many more attributes for this wedding. I was incredibly happy with my peach dress, while Zac had (reluctantly) agreed to wear a red tie with his suit. Sandy had even gotten off my back, and Lucas was avoiding me, which I was very glad about. It finally seemed that everything was falling into place.

Havenhurst had a yearly tradition; the Mid-Winter Festical. Luisa wouldn't shut up about it. Apparently, besides prom, it was one of the biggest school social events of the year. I didn't see the big deal; at my old school, we never really had any school dances. If we got dressed up in fancy dresses, it would be for Halloween.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————-

Zac wanted to take me out for that chilly Saturday afternoon, apparently something about taking me to the incredible iMax movies they showed in Times Square. Mom and Howard were still at home, well, Howard was in his study, taking on his next case. He told us it was something about criminal fraud with the Sham-Wow company. And mom was watching her marathon of Dancing with the Stars. Apparently, Jennifer Lopez had teamed up with some sort international tango teacher, who had very nice abs may I add. They were like glass-cut, perfectly sclupted, he could be a Latino Hercules. 

"Where are you two going?" she asked as we put on our coats.

"Dani told me she's never seen an iMax movie, so I'm taking her to see one. We're gonna see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles." Zac replied.

"Mutant Ninja Turtles? Dani, I didn't know you were into that." she said to me. I could only shrug in response.

"The movie has a high rating, and a lot of great reviews. I just figured, what the hey?" I replied.

"Really, well I gotta be the first to say, it's really nice to see you two getting along. Alright, well have fun. Don't load up on popcorn though, your father wants to go out tonight." she said, turning back to her show.

"We'll be back by three. See you later." Zac said, ushering me towards the elevator. As soon as we got in the door closed, I turned to Zac, trying to not to laugh as I did.

"She has no idea how well we get along." I giggled.

"Shit, you're right. Neither of them do."

—————————————————————————————————————————————————-

We walked down the streets towards the bustling Times Square. It was still so cold, you could see your own breath as you exhaled. I kept nudging up against Zac for any essence of warmth; I couldn't wait for spring to come along and heat everything up.

"So, have you heard anything about this school dance thing coming up?" I asked him.

"Yeah, the student council gets really into it. They practically love to put up new flyers every week, and every year, it's at a different location. Since this year it falls on Valentine's Day, I think you can guess what the theme is." he replied.

"Huh, it's all Luisa can talk about. She can't shut up about it." I said.

"Mike told me he's thinking of asking her to be his date." he said. That instantly grabbed my attention.

"Really?" I asked, making sure he said what I thought he said.

"Yep, Mike's going for Ms. Perrison. I think they'd actually look good together...don't tell anybody I said that." he replied.

"Aw, your secret's safe with me." I said. "So, do you have to get dressed up in a fancy dress and everything?"

"Yeah. See Havenhurst doesn't have a prom. Instead, the seniors get this dinner-dance thing at some grand hall in the middle of Manhattan. This dance is sort of like a prom for everybody, but earlier in the year." he replied.

"Oh, well that was nice of them." I said.

"...Of who?" he asked.

"The school dummy." I replied.

"Right, right. I knew that." he said.

"I'm sure you did." I said with an eye roll.

"Anyway, if I'm gonna go to this early prom, I'm going to need a date." he said.

"Well, you got a date." I replied.

"Where?" he asked childishly, then looking around the street to find his 'date'. I only chuckled at him.

"I'm right here you know." I said.

"Yeah, but I never asked you to go with me." he said. That made me stop walking and face him.

"Wait — isn't that what couples do though? Go to these lame highschool parties?" I asked.

"Yeah, but it should still be tradition for the man to ask his girl if she'll agree." he replied.

"Oh really? So does that mean you're gonna have to propose?" I asked with a smirk. Zac took a minute to think, then he got down on one knee and took my hand.

"Daniella Lavek, my beautiful and smart girlfriend, would do me the honor of going to this lame highschool dance with me next weekend?" he asked. A few people stopped, looking and probably wondering what the hell this kid was doing.

"Zac, people are staring." I told him discreetly.

"I'm going to stay down here until you answer." he replied.

"Alright, yes. I will go to this lame highschool dance with you. And if we don't enjoy ourselves, we can just go downtown and find some restaurant to have dinner." I said. Zac got up, quickly dusting off his jeans before he slung an arm around my shoulders, and we started walking again.

"One great idea after another from Dani Lavek."