Chapter 5

Later that day, I had come home from school at exactly four o'clock. My mom nor Howard hadn't come home yet, so my first instinct was to 1: change out of this monkey suit, and 2: start organizing my school supplies. Havenhurst was very specific on how they wanted everything; such as what calculator to use, which brand of paper to get, and the number size of a pencil. It was all so confusing, but that's what I needed.

I didn't hear Zac come in until he approached me straight up and asked one of the most absurd questions. "Are you a virgin?" 

"Hello. Nice to see you too." I replied, feeling a little creeped out.

"You too, you didn't answer my question." he said.

"Because that's none of your business whether I've been laid or not." I replied.

"You are a virgin, aren't you?" he asked. Okay, I'm getting away from him now. 

"I'm not answering that and you're creeping me out." I replied.

"I'm just asking a question." he said.

"Yeah, well it's a creepy question. Why do you care if I'm a virgin or not?" I asked.

"Why are you being so defensive about it?" he asked.

"Because it's none of your business!" I snapped at him. Zac just chuckled and nodded.

"You are a virgin." Holy cow, this guy can't take a hint.

"So how come on my first day of school you're so interested in my virginity? You couldn't be more interested in what my favorite color was." I said.

"Alright listen, as far as I've known, girls who look like you are prone to giving themselves in sophmore year." he said.

"Maybe that's because it actually means something to me. So leave me alone." I said.

"Okay, I get it. Listen I'm sorry about how I was acting today. How about I make it up to you?" he asked. I stopped sorting through my papers and turned to him, a hand placed on my hip.

"What did you have in mind?"

"Do you like icecream?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He took me to the boardwalk at Coney Island, looking over the beach. We bought icecream, I got strawberry, he got vanilla. Zac actually turned out to be more interesting than I realised: he enjoyed telling me stories about his crazy encounters at Havenhurst. Some stories were funny, some were disgusting, others were just...to put in simple terms: stupid.

"So then Pete's big lawyer dad meets with the superintendant of the school, and um...they overuled him, and they next thing we know, Pete's back in class and get's caught selling weed to freshman." I had to laugh, these people live in an amazing city and go to an exeptional school, yet act like complete dingbats. "He's an idiot. You see that cigarette that he has over his ear all the time?" he asked me.

"Mmm-hmm, yeah." I nodded, remembering when I saw a guy with shaggy blonde hair leaning against the lockers and had an unlight cigarette sticking out from the side of his head. 

"Pfft, like it impresses anybody. It doesn't, it's ridiculous. Moron." I didn't know this guy who ended up ignoring my existance for a month, could be so interesting.

"Wow, compared to your school, my old school in Stratford looks like the top jewel on the Queen's crown. All anybody had to worry about was getting shoved into lockers or-or getting swirlies. Gross." I said.

"Yikes. Swirlies are the worst." he said. I looked at him and smirked.

"Oh really?" I asked. Did Zachary Trenway really get a swirlie?