Episode Seven, Part 5:

Th e   G r e a t   E s c a p e

There was a rustle sounding from behind Wynnlow, heavy breathing and hurried footsteps. The girl stepped out into the clearing, looking around, the world coming to a stop only when she saw him. 

Wynnlow braced for the bite of her words, for an ultimatum that she would only help Bas if they returned with her. Instead, Sol walked over, assessing the situation - how high up Bas was, what kind of trap was set and if there were anymore around, and how Wynnlow had picked up his bag - looking ready to leave. 

She reached into her pocket, pulling out the radio before even a word was said to either boy. 

"Dreea, its Riv. Just west of Wapefil Lake. I've got one of them in Rider's trap. How close are you?" 

"I can be there in 5 minutes." 

Sol looked up at Bas, noticing the intense look of pain that was beginning to spread across his face. "How long have you been up there?" 

"About 8 minutes." Wynnlow replied, a distance in his voice. He was regretful for what he had done to Sol, for betraying her trust and guidance. His shame held him from looking at her. 

Sol bit down on her lip, weighing out her options. She brought the radio back up to her lips, a message for Dreea. "Better make it 2." 

With that, she ran forward, grabbing onto Wynn's wrist and tugging him behind her. He resisted a little, stopping her before they drifted too far away from Bas, who was panicking as he remained hanging in mid-air. 

"Tell me what we're doing." Wynnlow demanded. 

Sol rolled her eyes and pulled him away with her, replying once Wynnlow seemed to follow. "Don't worry about him; Dreea's going to get him down. I thought we were trying to get your people back." She stated nonchalantly. 

Wynnlow looked over at her, keeping his pace as he ran alongside. "You shouldn't be here, Sol." 

"You mean you shouldn't be out here." Her voice was a mumble, almost lost beneath her breath. 

"Hey," once again, Wynnlow brought her to a stop. She looked at him now, maintaining eye contact. "I meant not tonight." Wynnlow told her. "The Decider was important for you. Why did you give that up?" 

Sol was hesitant to reply, to be honest with him. She wasn't used to justifying her actions to anyone, especially when it had cost her a tremendous sacrifice. "Because family is important, too. Look, I know you didn't see it, but that matters at Basilisk - and we protect our people. Rule number two," Sol paused, Wynnlow catching sight of her smile in the half light, "no one gets left behind." 

- 6 miles east, Blood Riders 

The group were lingering around the fences in the far corners of Rider's perimetres. They had exhausted almost every option and were losing hope that they were ever gonna make it out. 

Fabian was kicking around at the wired fence, tugging on the chains, seeing how strong the frames were and whether it could support their weight.