Episode Six, Part 4:

Stoic

Bas pulled Wynnlow over to the fencing on the edge of the camp, imposing the feeling of imprisonment circling his chest, onto Wynn. There was a desperation that mixed with the dark brown of his pupils, a wide-eyed fear that Wynnlow couldn't look away from.

"Please." Bas murmured. "Please. It isn't supposed to be like this."

The break in his voice was all it took for Wynnlow to cave in. It was like standing before a reflection of his past self: weak, hopeless, afraid - a part of himself that Wynnlow didn't want to go back to.

He took a sharp gulp, a waver in his voice, almost a doubt. But then he nodded in agreement with Bas. "We should leave tonight. With the fire going on, everyone's distracted. That way, Sol is less likely to catch us."

"Sol?"

"Riverly." Wynn corrected himself. He forgot that only he was the one who called her that.

Bas nodded and looked to Wynnlow expectantly, as if he was the one who should have had everything figured out. But it wasn't his fault Bas felt that way. Wynnlow closed his eyes, breathing in deeply as he tried to figure out what they were going to do.

He knew it was a stupid idea, and that the training Sol had given him wouldn't be enough if they faced anyone else out there, but the desire and longing for their family was a force stronger than any fear the two could have. A force even stronger than death.

"Meet me at the tunnel in twenty. The one Ares and I left through. I'll get us some more bags." 

"Anything you need me to get?"

Wynnlow shook his head. "Just try and stay out of sight."

- 11 miles east, Blood Riders

The boy stood up, a groan escaping his lips and he leaned his head against the cold, metal bars. The ice temperature was a shock to him, flinching at the initial contact before relaxing back against the coolness.

He looked down at his hands, his inner wrists red and cut dry from all the tugging left behind from desperate attempts to free himself. The handcuffs wouldn't budge, and they had only been removed a few times a day for brief intervals. But now it was time. He had decided that when they unlocked them again, he would make his run for it.

"Cut it out, Ares." A voice from behind him drew his attention.

Ares turned around to face Fabian, lying on the bare, wooden slate on the opposite side of their cell.

"You know they're not coming off. You're just wasting your energy." He explained.

"I'm sorry, but I can't just sit around and do nothing whilst we're all locked up in here. This might be easy for you to just lay around, but I'm going to do whatever it takes to get out. MaReya would expect the same form you."

At the mention of her name, Fabian shot up from his position, lunging over to where Ares stood. "Don't you dare say her name." He warned Ares. "You've got your sister right there," he motioned to the cell next to theirs where Elara was watching on at the confrontation, "this is different for us."