Episode Two, Part 4:

D e b t s

Ares and Wynn crawled their way through the tunnel, dirt covering their clothes with every movement

"You sure there wasn't another alternative?" Ares coughed reaching the end of the tunnel, his lungs relieved to breathe in something other than dust.

"I'll take that as a thanks for figuring a way out." Wynnlow remarked, smirking at his brother in the dark.

They hurried over into the distant trees, not wanting to be in sight of the guards from where they were standing.

"How far have you gone?" Ares asked.

"Not that far." Wynnlow replied. "I wasn't exactly awake when they brought me here, so I didn't recognise anything."

"When did you do it?"

"This morning. I didn't know where you were, so I just went alone."

"You went in the day?" Ares was bewildered, half impressed, half concerned by his brother's actions.

"It's okay. No one saw me."

"You don't know that."

"Hey, no one stopped us, did they?" Ares didn't have a response to his brother's statement, only a roll of his eyes to show defeat.

"Well, have you at least got any idea of where we're going?"

Wynnlow reached into his bag, rummaging for something until he brought out a map. Ares' eyes widened, quickly digging through the bag himself. "Yikes, how much did you pack?"

"If I saw something that looked useful, I took it." Wynnlow answered. "I've never really been above ground before. I didn't know what to expect."

"You can say that again." Ares mumbled. He took the map from Wynnlow, trying to identify what each point meant. He could see two large markings on opposite sides of the map, one labelled 'B/R' and the other 'T/C'. Reading them aloud, they almost felt familiar to the boys.

"Blood Clan!" Ares announced. "Blood Clan? Blood Riders..."

Wynnlow looked at where his brother was pointing on the map, agreeing that it felt promising. "And they must be Third Clan, then?" He added, pointing to the opposing label that stood directly between the letters 'B.N'.

"Basilisk Nation."

"It seems plausible." Ares declared. "But which one do we head to first?"

Without a doubt, it felt like the first thing Wynnlow was certain of about the ground. "Riders. That's who Riverly said after the Invasion. She said that Riders most likely had taken them, and that..." Wynnlow cut himself short, not wanting to change his brother's mind about their plan.

"And what?" Ares pushed. "Wynn, they have our family. You need to tell me."

Wynnlow nodded. He knew his brother was right, but that still didn't mean he was happy about telling him everything. "She said that they'd capture us, or that they'd kill us. Supposedly, being captured is worse."

There was an anger that appeared on Ares' face; Wynnlow could even see it in the darkness. He knew that Ares was just as desperate as he was to reunite with their family, so he hoped that what he revealed didn't throw his intentions too far.

"Then it's settled. We go to Riders."

For the first time in a long time, Wynn felt like the rational one of the two. "They're not going to let us just march in their and get our family back. They obviously have a reason for wanting them, otherwise they would have just let them go."

"And what do you think Basilisk's reason for wanting us is? All I know is that it matters that we're together. All of us. I don't really care about where we are, as long as I have that."

A snapping noise distracted both boys from their conversation, both their heads tuning into the sound of the noise.

"What was that?" Wynnlow asked, steadying himself to a still position.

Attempting to hide his worry, Ares responded, "I'm sure it's nothing. It's probably just a bear or something."

"A bear!?" Wynnlow exclaimed, his voice only a whisper but loud with emotion.

Ares hit as his forehead, the miscommunication adding to his stress. "A bird. I meant a bird, Wynnlow." He corrected himself. "But I don't really remember much about before the Bunker, okay? I don't know what lives out here."

"Clearly." Wynn mumbled, seizing the map from his brother's hands.

As they began to walk in the direction of the map, another noise brought them to an abrupt stop. It seemed that neither believed it was just an animal out there. There was something more. It felt like something more. Like eyes watching them, ready to attack.

Ares pulled the radio from the side of Wynn's bag, a static sound occupying the outdoors as he turned it on.

"Quill? Quill, are you there?" There was no answer. "Quill, if you can hear this, I think we have company-"

A piercing sound ripped through the night , sending both brothers to their feet.

"Okay, seriously, what was that?" Wynnlow panicked. There was no answer, both too afraid to say another word, but they both knew what it was. Someone was trying to kill them.

t w o // p a r t f o u r