Episode Three, Part 2:

S o l

As Riverly led Wynnlow through Basilisk, she chucked a large bag over, hitting him on the chest

As Riverly led Wynnlow through Basilisk, she chucked a large bag over, hitting him on the chest. She smirked as it knocked the breath out of him for a minute, struggling to find a comfortable way to carry it.

"I don't think you needed to do that." Wynnlow complained, following after her with a huff. It frustrated him how there was no one else to turn to for what he needed, and that it was always Riverly who seemed to have the power over him.

She called over her shoulder. "I make the rules, Wynn," reminding him of where he stood. "You can always change your mind. I don't have to train you, remember."

"You know I'm not going to do that." He fired back, some sort of dissatisfaction in his voice.

Riverly sighed this time. "Fine." She said. "Drop the bag. Get in stance."

"Get in...what?" Confused, Wynnlow carefully set the bag down, not sure what she wanted from him.

"Get in stance." She repeated, her tone implying how obvious she thought her request was. Wynnlow cracked his knuckles, then, bent his knees slightly, copying how Riverly was standing.

"Now what-" Wynnlow was cut off by a force to his gut, his mind needing a couple of seconds to register what had just happened. "What is wrong with you?" He exclaimed, backing away from her a couple steps.

"Do you want to learn how to fight, or not?" Riverly was beginning to realize how different their worlds were, and just how much Wynnlow had to learn.

"Yes." He told her. "I want to learn, so I can get out of this place. I didn't come here to be your replacement punching bag."

"Well that's where you've ended up." Riverly teased, her tone somewhat hurtful. Annoyed at her disrespect, Wynnlow turned on his heal, beginning to walk away from her without another word.

"Wait-" Riverly called after him; there was some sort of regret taking over her, an anger at herself hiding somewhere as well. Wynnlow paused, hesitating before turning back around to face her again. Taking a leaf from her book, he waited for her to speak.

"I take it back, okay?"

He furrowed his brows. "Do you mean you're sorry?" Wynnlow asked. It was like she didn't know how to say those words. At least not to him.

Riverly shrugged her shoulders a little, nodding ever-so-slightly at him. A moment passed between the two of them. "I'm not going to say it, if that's what you're expecting."

Wynnlow sucked in a sharp breath. "My fault for waiting for one."

Riverly shook her head, distinguishing the laugh that was threatening to spill. "Then get in stance." She repeated. "And this time, try to defend yourself."

She was too quick, or Wynnlow was too slow, but she got her first hit in, targeting the pain that hadn't yet left him from moments ago. But he didn't fall or retreat.

"That's good." Riverly breathed out. "Don't show weakness. Take it. "

She came at him again, this time missing. Riverly was surprised, almost searching for fault in herself rather than allowing the possibility of Wynnlow having made a smart move. She went in again, but this time, Wynn fired back, his hit causing her to fall ground unexpectedly.

A guilt set in. Aside from during brotherly rows, Wynn had never physically hurt someone. He was worried that she would be angered at him, perhaps refuse to help him after what he had done.

"Uh, I-I'm sorry, River. I didn't really know what I was doing." He stuttered out, extending his hand down to help her.

Riverly pulled herself up, ignoring his offering of help. Brushing the dirt from herself, she stood in front of him, a glare hardening her stare.

"River, I... Please don't be angry. I came to you for help."

She pushed past him, her shoulder knocking against his. "You think I'm angry you knocked me down?" She asked. Her voice was calmer than Wynnlow predicted, an uncertain weariness settling in his stomach.

She continued. "I'm not a damsel in distress, Wynn. I'm a girl. A fighter. A Sovereign."

"I didn't mean it like that-"

"Good." She cut him off short, refusing to let him dominate the conversation, pulling something from the disregarded bag. "Because I'm just getting warmed up."

t h r e e // p a r t t w o