Episode Six, Part 6:

S t o i c

Bas paced around anxiously, hovering close by to the hidden tunnel that stood between who he is and who he was. All he wanted to be was a boy who had a family, not a boy who had fallen into the depths of loneliness.

With Wynnlow taking his time, now bordering 10 minutes from when they had arranged to meet, Bas became worried that his relentless pacing was beginning to look suspicious. He already felt unwelcome enough at the camp, as if no one wanted him there in first place, and feeling as though everyone's eyes were on him left him on the verge of breaking. But as he looked up, the sound of approaching footsteps pulling him from his state of mind, he relaxed that the only person who seemed to notice was Quill.

"What are you doing all the way over here? Everyone's back by the centre of camp. There's some sort of ceremony about to happen."

Bas struggled to meet his gaze, afraid that he wouldn't be able to lie to him, or that he would be plagued by the disappointment in his eyes when he revealed that they were leaving.

"Bas?" Quill pushed, confused that he wasn't getting a response. "Are you okay?"

From behind him, another sounding of footsteps. Bas turned over his shoulder to meet Wynnlow who looked somewhat uncomfortable to see him there.

Noticing the bags weighing down his shoulders, Quill began to piece everything together. "Tell me you're not..." he muttered, unable to finish his thought.

Wynnlow gulped, then tilted his neck, adjusting his stance as if the taller he stood, the surer he would be about his decision. "We don't have time, Quill." A soft regret at the mention of his brother's name. A hesitation. "They're already on their way. We gotta go."

Bas remained silent, taking possession of one of the bags, slinging it over his shoulder. Meanwhile, Wynnlow crouched down, grabbing onto one side of the metal scrap that disguised their exit from the rest of Basilisk.

As Wynnlow swung his legs over the side of the whole, prepared to jump down, Quill spoke up. The way his voice wavered knocked the air out of Wynnlow's chest. "So you're just going to leave me here? And MaRaya, and Azha?"

Bas looked to Wynnlow, too, as if in a realisation of what he hadn't even considered.

Wynnlow looked around frustrated, aware that he didn't really have the time to stand and talk, but getting up for the sake of his brother. "We're not disappearing. But, I-" Wynnlow sighed. "We have to get back to our family. People aren't supposed to be apart from other people like this."

Quill dropped his head. There was an underlining emptiness that each of them felt, and it couldn't be denied that it was there, raging inside of them.

"We're coming back for you. But from what I know about where they are - Ares, Elara, Mum, everyone - I won't wait any longer."

Emitting from the centre of the camp, large, overpowering lights illuminated Basilisk. Panic began beating in Wynnlow's heart as he looked to Quill, almost as though he was for permission.

Quill tried to muster up a brave face, but there was no hiding the fear in his dark eyes. "Don't die."

Wynnlow nodded, forcing a sympathetic laughter out as Bas jumped down into the tunnel below. "I'll do my best not to."

"I'll see you on the other side."

"It doesn't matter where, but that you will. And you will see me again." With a part of the night feeling unfinished, Wynnlow jumped down into the tunnel, fading into the darkness hoping beyond hope that he was right.

-

Sol hurried into the Sovereign's Quarters, already prepared to tear into Kodiak for disturbing her at such a time. She began before she could even see him, dismissing Zayden and Adair - the watchmen assigned to protect her at all times.

"Kodiak, what is it? The Deciding Ceremony begins in two hours. Couldn't this have wait-" She cut herself short, her eyes becoming witness to the state of the room. It was evident that something had happened, and by the reluctant look on Kodiak's face, she knew it was bad.

"Where is he?" She bit down on her lip, struggling to retain all of her anger.

Kodiak stood up from his position of leaning against the counter, his hands now up in some sort of surrender, a desperate attempt to keep her calm. He looked around her, making sure no one was in ear sight before he answered.

"He left. He took one of his friends with him."

In a moment of rage, Sol lunged at the counter, shoving everything off before dropping her head in her hands. "The one thing I didn't need that boy to do... And tonight, of all nights?"

"I would have stopped him. But I know if anyone else found out that he was trying to leave, then you would cop it. If you catch up to him, then I don't think Eryx will be too harsh on you. After all, he'll see it as they couldn't get past you. That you managed to stop them... Right?"

Sol shook her head. Though she was grateful for her friend's words, she didn't know how to show it. "No. It's too late. I've failed him. I'll never be Sovereign."

Kodiak sighed. Despite majority of their lives being competition in training for the title of Sovereign, Sol and Dreea were the most important people in his life, and even leading Basilisk would never quite compare to the victory of being able to call them family. "Hey," he murmured, stepping closer. "You've got everything in you to be Sovereign."

Sol scoffed. "But I won't be. My dad will hate me when he finds out that they managed to leave. And worse, that they're going to Blood Riders. Or maybe what will really drive him over he edge is that he stole our supplies, or that I trained him to survive out there, and that he could fight against us. Yeah, that'll be why." 

"Riverly..." Kodiak's voice was warm, but disapproving. He place a strap over her shoulder, securing the object's place around her. When Sol looked down, she saw that he had prepared a bag of supplies for her. "You're going out there, and when you come back - with them, we'll go to the Deciding Ceremony, and either you or Dreea will be appointed Sovereign, but it will be you." He smirked at his words, trying to lighten up the mood so she would have the confidence to succeed in her mission.

Sol closed her eyes and inhaled deeply, exhaling all her doubt and fear of failure. She repeated this process several times before she opened her eyes again, and Kodiak was still there, still believing in her.

Before she knew it, she was out by the tunnel herself, Kodiak right behind her to see her out safely.

"I'll stall Eryx for you, if he asks. Just make sure you're back in time for the Decider, otherwise we'll send Dreea out leading a search party for you."

Sol laughed at him, lowering herself down into the tunnel. "Arrange for Pilot to meet me at the gates. I trust him. Don't tell anyone else where I am. And thank you, Koda. I wouldn't have made it this far without you." 

"Anything for you, Sov." 

With the lingering desire of Sovereign propelling her journey, Sol disappeared down into the tunnel, conquering the darkness to get to Wynnlow. 

s i x  //  p a r t  s i x