Episode Five, Part 6:

Knocking on Heaven's Door

For the second night, Sol began to set up camp, her frustration beginning to grow at their lack of findings. Still, it was nothing compared to how Wynnlow was feeling, the hope of a reunion seeming further away every day.

As Sol was beginning to ensemble the tents, Wynnlow surprised her by walking over, picking up parts of the frame in an attempt to understand how to put it together. Sol look up at him, shooting him a confused glance at his involvement.

"Just in case you die." Wynnlow smirked, echoing her words from last night.

Sol laughed before calming herself to instruct him, which wasn't going very well.

"Am I doing this right?" He asked.

"No." Sol answered. "And I've never seen anyone do it so bad before."

"That was just uncalled for." Wynnlow teased, surprised at how well they were both getting on, especially considering they had been in each other's company for the past 2 days.

"Stop, stop!" Sol interrupted him, needing to take over before Wynnlow dug himself too deep. As she reached down to grab the poles and tarp from his grip, a sound coming from behind them made them both stop immediately.

Sol shot around, her gun being pulled from her waistband and aimed within seconds. She glanced around in every direction, slowly bending down to reach her bag. She fought around for something, pulling out a second gun and handing it to Wynnlow.

"Stay behind me." She ordered him. "And don't shoot. That's only in case we get separated."

Wynnlow gulped, suddenly, all of his training seeming to vanish from his memory as he stared down at the weapon in his hands. What if he had to use it? What if something happened to Sol? Or to him? There was no way they'd survive a trip back to Basilisk if one of them was injured, especially if that person was Sol. He couldn't survive without her.

"What's happening?" He whispered, staying close to her.

"Shhh!" She whispered back. "Someone's there."

Wynn rolled his eyes. "Even I know that. I mean who are they?"

"Dang it, Wynnlow, does it look like I know that?" He ignored her, realising that she was right and he was being stupid. But it was the fear. He was helpless, vulnerable, and his life depended on Sol.

The noise sounded again, this time followed by the silhouette of someone running past. He doubted it at first, a flash of blonde hair following, but as Sol was looking around trying to locate the person, Wynnlow had already found them. They were standing still, hiding between the trees staring right back at him. Seconds felt like hours, and it was more than enough for him to be sure.

Wynnlow stepped forward, scaring Sol from his movement. At the same time, the unknown shadow did as well, Sol's weapon ready to shoot as she yelled for Wynnlow to get back.

Appearing from the trees, Lyra stepped forward, running over to her best friend. She wrapped her arms tightly around Wynnlow, his embracing her right back.

Sol dropped her aim, watching in confusion as she waited for the adrenaline to leave her body. Her hitched breath caught in her throat as the girl pulled away from Wynnlow, closing her lips onto his. Sol looked away.