Episode One, Part 6:

N e w L i f e

N e w   L i f e

"Hey, look. I don't know anything about where you've taken us, or why we're here," Ares began, "but Wynn," he lowered his voice a little, "maybe trying not to make her hate us is a good start. She knows a lot more than us and we might need that if we want to find Blood Clan... Riders... Whatever they're called."

Wynn folded his arms; like a stubborn child, he didn't want to admit that maybe Riverly could be good for them and their chances of finding their family, but one thought of his sister in danger persuaded him.

As he moved, Ares caught sight of the ink on Wynnlow's hand. "Hey, you have one, too." He exclaimed, taking his hand to closer study the markings.

"Yeah." Wynn coughed, dryly, still confused over everything. "Wait, you have a tattoo?"

Ares paused before answering, some kind of realisation, discovery. "I do, but it's different, though." He rolled up his sleeve to reveal two letters on the inside where his upper and forearm connected.

B.T

The writing was different as well, as though they were both unique to a different representation, or person.

Riverly made her way round, observing what Ares' skin revealed. She gave a knowing look, as if to say that she thought a lot about what it meant, almost mocking Ares and Wynn.

"Well?" Wynnlow asked, snappy.

"Well what?" Riverly responded.

Wynn bit down on his tongue, refraining himself from the bitter words that wanted to leave him. "What do they mean?"

She smiled cockily, looking away. "Those are your debts."

"I'm sorry. What?" Ares stuttered.

"They signify who you are in debt to."

"You're going to have to be a little more specific." 

She nodded to herself, perhaps her way of considering his request. "Sure thing, Aaron. Like newborn babies, you two don't have a clue about this world." She seemed proud of her remark, both brothers equally frustrated with her now. "Where do I begin..." She muttered to herself.

"Maybe with who hurt you." Wynnlow sassed, mumbling under his breath. Riverly didn't quite hear him, but she'd place bets on not liking it.

"Basilisk values loyalties. As a Nation, but also individually. Everyone declares their loyalty to Basilisk, but we all have our own ones that we form ourselves. I guess to make it make sense, it's like choosing your family, in a way, your alliances: the people you'll stick with forever." It was the first thing Riverly had said that seemed not-so-terrifying. The only thing that made it feel as if the world wasn't all bad.

"And the debts?" There was a softness that appeared on her. Not a vulnerability, but a humanness.

"The people you owe your life to." Riverly pulled off her jacket, the skin on her left upper arm revealing two sets of initials.

D.T
K.Z

"These two keep on saving me. They mean the most." A sincerity in her voice, a warmth burning inside her. She continued to reveal more.

E.R

"That's my dad. Wasn't so much a physical threat he saved me from, but he kept me alive all on his own. I called it my debt, but that's not something that really ever happens." She smiled again as she talked.

J.P

"That was from when I was a kid. Riders would have taken me if it weren't for him. And this..."

A.B

The last set of initials rested on her right hip bone, peaking out as she lifted the corner of her shirt upwards. Riverly hesitated, caught off guard by what was probably something she unconsciously glanced over every time she got changed, never really thinking too deep about - as if it was just a part of her that blended in.

"A. B." Ares read. "Who's that for?"

Riverly shook her head at herself. It seemed like she was belittling herself for what she was feeling. "I don't know." She told them. "I don't know that one. It was the first one I got, had it done when I was a child. My dad never mentions it." She quickly concluded herself, embarrassed for the shadow of intimacy she had let sink on them.

"Anyway, your's is..." She took another look at Ares' arm, "Bianca." The acceptance settled across her face. "She was one of my people there during the attack when we found you."

"So what doesn't mean?"

"It means she either saved you on ground, or back here at base. Do you remember the transport here?"

Ares shook his head.

"Then she would've had some part to do with you still being alive."

"And mine?" Wynnlow asked, offering his hand up. But Riverly didn't need to look.

"S. Riverly. You are in debt to me."

o n e // p a r t s i x