Episode Two, Part 3:

Episode Two, Part Three:

D e b t s

Riverly stood with her arms folded, standing in her father's sector, frustratingly awaiting for his disapproval to arrive

Riverly stood with her arms folded, standing in her father's sector, frustratingly awaiting for his disapproval to arrive. They had discovered the missing equipment, and it hadn't taken them long to trace it back to the people from the Bunker.

Eryx - her father, ventured in not long after she had arrived, taking no time before he dived into his warnings. "I don't know what else to say to you. You know how careful we have to be. Something like this could cause distrust among our people-"

"It's just a few backpacks, and a couple of radios. The food will just come out of their rations, anyways-"

"Young Sovereign-"

"Stop calling me that, dad! I am not a Sovereign!" She groaned at the title her father had given her. Eryx's frustration began to rise. This was always an uncharted territory between the father and daughter - something they both felt strongly of, and contrasting.

"Not yet." He reminded her.

"Not ever." Riverly mumbled in response, avoiding her father's eyes.

"If that's how you feel, then I can bring an end to your training with Dreea and Kodiak."

"No." She was quick defy against that, but struggled for her reasoning.

Sighing at his daughter's defeat, Eryx grabbed on Riverly's arm, guiding her over to sit. Across from her, Eryx waited until he had her reluctant attention.

"I know you think being a Sovereign isn't for you-"

"I know it isn't. I can't fight like Kodiak, or command like Dreea."

"Ah, but that's just it. Kodiak can fight, but he falls short on leading. And Dreea's temper will often contradict the needs of her people. You, Sovereign, have both."

She looked up at her father, his words meaning so much, but she was afraid to believe them. Afraid for them to be true because she knew they would change everything.

"Whether you like it or not, being a Sovereign is in your blood."

"Why can't the Blood Sovereign be from Joren or Cassius? There only needs to be one direct descendant, why does it have to be me?"

"You know why it's you. You're destined to command these people, just as I am. Dreea and Kodiak will be your accomplices, but you will be the one in charge. And hey, if it helps, I was terrified, too." Eryx admitted.

"You were?"

"Of course. Haven't you seen Joren and Cassius? I thought I had no idea what I was doing, either."

"Then how did you know?" Riverly questioned.

"I knew what my people needed, because I was my people. That's the same way you'll know."

Riverly looked away in contemplation, fiddling with the chain around her neck. The thought of one day having to take her father's place as Sovereign of her people terrified her, and she had been forever dreading The Revitalization when her fate would be decided. The date was approaching quicker than she had realized and she had exercised every attempt to try and worm her way out of the ceremony, but she now had to accept what was coming; her awaiting authority.

"Back to what I really came here to talk about with you..." Eryx waited a few seconds before bringing up their previous conversation. "It was your choice to evacuate the Bunkers, that means the people we find are your responsibility."

Riverly sat up in her seat, taken aback by her father's words. "Dad, I didn't kill those people in the raid. I told you, the Riders came and wanted them for themselves-"

"No, I know. That's not your burden. But the people we bring back here, the survivors, this is your preparation for Sovereign. You've got to lead them, train them, make them your people."

Riverly nodded, relieved at the misunderstanding.

"Now, the lot you just brought in. Two of them got out."

Riverly shook her head at the news. "So I heard."

"You need to go find them."

"Can't it wait until light?"

Eryx gave her a knowing look. "You know what will happen if you do."

Sighing, Riverly took hold of the weapon her father handed to her, adjusting it into the side of her belt, ensuring that it was hooked on safely.

Before she left the sector, Eryx had some final words of encouragement for her. "Try and bring them back in one piece. I know what you're like."

t w o // p a r t t h r e e

Sovereign: A person who has supreme power or authority; a king, queen, or ruler.