Episode One, Part 3:

N e w L i f e

"So what do we do now, Riverly?" Wynnlow asked, exhaling a shaky breath as he adjusted the position of his leg

"So what do we do now, Riverly?" Wynnlow asked, exhaling a shaky breath as he adjusted the position of his leg. He refrained himself from mentioning the increasing pain, and how it was spreading up his entire body.

When she didn't answer, Wynnlow spoke again. "Hello, Riverly? That is your name, isn't it?"

She rolled her eyes at him, annoyed to have been disturbed. "One of them."

Taken aback, Wynn challenged her attitude. "One of them? What does that mean?"

"It means you don't know me." She snapped, bitterly hoisting her attention to him. "And if you did, you would shut up and let me figure out what to do."

"You should have just left us in the Bunker." Wynnlow muttered to himself, not realizing that she had caught onto his words.

"You're right. Maybe we should have. Then I wouldn't be stuck here trying to save your life." Riverly fired back, informing Wynnlow of how selfish he was being. Before he had time to think of an apology, she picked up the radio - the one she was in the middle of separating into pieces, and disappeared out of the small cave.

Wynnlow sat up a little, feeling all the heat leave his face, a nausea settling in his stomach. Where was she going? Even Wynnlow know that it wasn't safe out there. Then, another fear ached inside his chest: was she coming back for him?

"Riverly?" He called out, awaiting a response, not very hopeful. "Hey, River?" He tried again.

He already gave up trying. Either she was gone, now shot and dying somewhere, or just didn't care enough to answer him.

Wynnlow looked around the cave; he was thankful that it was daytime as it allowed some light to pour in, but it was still not enough for him to distinguish everything about his surroundings.

He needed to plan a way out, in case she wasn't coming back for him.

Wynnlow tried to stand up, but the pain was crippling; it was almost impossible for him to move anywhere.

But then his mind drifted to his family, to everyone in the Bunker. They could be out there, hurt somewhere, needing help just like him. His parents, siblings, friends. He could accept whatever happened to him out here, but if he lived and his family didn't, then there would be no point in him having survived at all.

Somehow, Wynnlow managed to find some strength, enough to push through the blinding pain that took power of his body. He used his hands to push himself upwards, sliding up the wall of the cave, leaning against it so he didn't have to weight bare on his right leg.

He could feel his blood dripping down his leg, the jacket River used to tie around now drenched, unable to hold any more.

He took a step, wincing in pain, crying out at the unbearable agony. If he could manage a couple more - without the support of the wall - then there was a chance he could make it to the exit of the cave, hopefully find someone who could save him.

But he had already taken them before he realized, his heart carrying on when his mind was shutting down. As he reached it, now able to see out into battle zone, Wynnlow finally comprehended what had happened. The bus lay on its side, fires burning all around. And the most horrifying thing, by far: the bodies scattered around, face down. Some, he knew, were his friends.

And then, poking out from what looked liked the door of the bus - now ripped off its hinges, was a mop of blonde hair. Wynnlow's heart shattered inside of him. If he found out that it was Lyra, then the heart already slowing inside of him would stop.

As his leg gave in, his dying body crashing to the ground, Wynnlow saw someone running over to him. But it was too late. His old life was gone, and his new life wouldn't stay.

o n e // p a r t t w o