His Prize

"What about him?" my brother asks stepping closer.

"How many years did they estimate?" I say in an eager voice. But at the same time, I'm really nervous to hear the response.

"None" she says. My heart skips a beat from her response.

"None! What do you mean none?" my dad blurts out. His out burst causes me flinch.

"I thought you said they were going to lock his ass up?" my brother says backing up my father harsh tone.

"Wait, relax!" I say turning to my father and brother. I take a deep breath and turn back to Detective Carter who looks upset at the news she just had to tell us.

"What, happened...?" I ask trying to keep calm.

"Kayla, I don't know how this happened. I went to talk to the men looking over the audio and video footage to see what they could come up with and they told me that what we had wasn't enough. If we wanted to go to court, the only thing we would get out of it was a Restraining Order."

"A god damn Restraining Order! A fucking piece of paper isn't going to protect her from this man. You've seen how crazy he is!" my dad says sounding angrier.

"This is bullshit," my brother says putting his two cents in.

"With the Restraining Order we can make it state that he needs to stay within 50 miles from you, and everyone you associate with. Meaning he cannot work at the school anymore, and he would have to move from his current residence" she explains. I shake my head in disappointment. I wanted to drop and cry. So many things started going on in my head. I wanted to just drop on the floor and break down. So many emotions started going through my head and I didn't know which one I should release, cause I know keeping them all enclosed wasn't good for me. I felt like a failure. I did all this and there is nothing we could do about it or show for it. He was going to walk free, and that was it. This is as far as were going to get.

"So what the hell are we supposed to do now?" my father asks.

"Well, we are only able to keep him for 24 hours, which is practically almost up, so we're going to have to release him soon. And we wont be able to get a court date till this Saturday to get at least a temporary Restraining Order. The court house is actually booked up until then."

"Safety detective! How the hell do we know that he's not going to try to get to her when you release him?" my brother blurts out.

"I know, I took that into consideration. I made arrangements for 8 of my best police officers to guard your home until we have the full blown restraining order given to him. Four to watch in the day, and four to watch in the night. And when she goes to school, one of them will be within the schools facilities to make sure everything is okay, and three will stay behind at the house" she says.

"24/7?" my dad asks

"24/7, 'till we get the restraining order on Saturday" she assures. She then looks at me. She must have seen how scared and hurt I looked because her facial expression changed as soon as she made eye contact with me. I didn't know what to say. Her words 'None' are still circling in my head.

"Kayla?" Detective carter says.

"Huh?" I say coming back to reality.

"Is that okay with you" she asks in a soft tone. No, it's not okay! I wanted him in jail already. He should have started his rotting session in jail already. This wasn't how it was supposed to go! I'm so angry, but scared and upset at the same time.

"Yeah" I respond in a low tone.

"Sweetheart, you don't understand how sorry I am for this. This has never happened before. But I'm going to make sure he gets the highest sentence he can get" she says rubbing my shoulders. She then comes and hugs me. I hug her back tightly. I can't be mad at her. She tried everything in her power to get him off the streets. When we part she turns around and waves her hand. Then four police officers in a line walk towards us.